Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many times in the past. Did a search for "headers" and found 279 matches. Many differing opinions. I'm looking for opinions from people who have had experience with the headers I'm interested in. They are the ceramic coated Hedman, ceramic coated Hooker Comps, and ceramic coated Dynomax Pro Series. The Dynomax seemed to get the highest rating but no mention if it was the street version or the Pro Series version. My main concern is fitment. I'm not buying a coated header that I have to dent to clear the steering column or frame. Thanks for your input!

Keith

------------------
Keith
1970 El Camino SS396
RPO L-78

[This message has been edited by KAA (edited 12-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by KAA (edited 12-10-99).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got Ceramic coated Hedmans on my 66'. Perfect fit and I love em. 1 7/8 primary tube. I also have a set of Hooker Supercomps with 2 inch primarries..talk about a nightmare.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the coated Hedmans on my 70 402. They look great but I don't like the way they fit. Steering column rubs even though we flattened the header a little and filed the column. Pretty stout cam and no solid motor mounts doesn't help the situation either. The headers also hang down pretty low. They make it really hard to get the car on a trailer. My car sits pretty low in the rear, but the only thing that ever gives me problems is that big header collector.
I wish I had a set that fit a little better. If want I can take some pictures of them and email them to you.

Pat
70 SS396
99 TA WS6

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
2" Hooker comps in a 67 and I had to dimple #5 for steering shaft clearance. Other than that they fit great and look great. The big 3.5" collectors are no problem, but I have a stock ride height.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the headmans on my 69 ss396 they are coated they look great fit perfect there is plenty of clearence for everything,power steering, clutch licage and the collectors havn't been scratched yet, car sits stock height.have had a few different brands and these fit well.

------------------

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm very suprised how many people have reported bad fitting with the Hookers. The last set I had which were the regular comps fit great. They were 2" primary and 3 1/2" collector. They didn't interfere with anything and I never bottomed on the collectors. Now this was back in 1991 so it's possible they may have changed something. I talked to Jet-Hot today and they say they have a set of Dynomax Pro Series headers that are coated. 2" primaries and 3 1/2" collectors. They gaurantee they'll fit with no adjustments or I can send them back. I'm going to order them tomorrow and then we'll see first hand. BTW, thanks to the person who suggested ordering directly from Jet-Hot. Sorry I don't remember who it was but my search for "headers" returned almost 300 matches.

Keith

------------------
Keith
1970 El Camino SS396
RPO L-78

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Keith,
I have helped others install Dynomax on their cars. I have 2 cars at my house with Dynomax. I went up into the attic to see if they are street or pro. The boxes don't say, but both cars are street cars. My son's is a 71 BB and mine is a 70 SB. One thing you must keep in mind at all times, with a BB there is no such thing as "plenty" of clearance, especially with pwr and air. OK? The Dynomax on my son's 71 BB were: easy to install, fit well and everything clears. I have never seen any brand of headers that did not require retightening the flange bolts every week or 2 until everything takes a set. After that, they need to be checked every few months to be sure the bolts are still tight. Dynomax are no different. Regardless of what brand you use, you obviously realize that ceramic coated is the way to go. That's good.
Not only am I happy all the way around with Dynomax, but the deal from Summit, so far, has been the best. Free call, $199, no tax, free shipping. What else you want, egg in your beer? Want me and TC to come and put them on? You don't have that much beer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tom, I am both fat, lazy and have a bunion on my left foot, SO I DRIVE AN AUTOMATIC!! I don't want to go over all the Header postings (again, did it once), are the Dynomax from Summit coated inside and out? An are they 2" primaries?

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK....just ordered the Dynomax Pro Series header from Jet-Hot. 2" primaries and 3 1/2" collectors. The header Summit sells is the street series header with 1 3/4" primaries. I have a feeling the reason the Dynomax headers from Summit fit so well is the primary tube size. Kind of an interesting note...Summit told me the Pro Series header was discontinued. When I told Jet-Hot this, they said Dynomax still supplies them with the Pro Series header on a special order basis. Also, the headers are coated inside and out. I hope they fit!!

Keith

------------------
Keith
1970 El Camino SS396
RPO L-78

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Keith,
Let us know if and how well they fit.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Keith, I suggested JetHot. If your Dynomax's are less than $425 and fit without a dimple on #5 tube I GOT JAMMED!!! Oh well, they're in, the 2" helped the top end nice and I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Keith, I suggested JetHot. If your Dynomax's are less than $425 and fit without a dimple on #5 tube I GOT JAMMED!!! Oh well, they're in, the 2" helped the top end nice and I'm happy.

BTW, take real care in installing those pups so as not to screw up a great looking pair of pipes!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a set of Pro Series Dynomax headers on my '68 Chevelle 502. I put a slight crease on the number 3 tube to clear the steering column (probably not needed if running solid mounts). A small dent was needed on the number 5 tube to clear a casting lug on the 502 (not needed on my 396). Finally, the number 4 tube is very close to the upper control arm. I smoothed the rear edge of the control arm for added clearance. The Hooker Comp Headers (2" tubes) actually fit a little better with no clearance problems, but they hung 1-1/2" lower than the Dynomax. Since my car sits fairly low, I really like the large tube Dynomax Pro Series headers. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Interesting to me that nobody mentions the performance of each header. Isn't that the reason we use them? I've run hedman (low$) and went to Hooker super comp's. What a difference! Power was felt in the seat of the pants. Fit isn't always everything. Has anybody ever used Headers By Ed ? How much do they actually cost?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.