Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a battery relocation to my trunk and I was wondering the lenght of welder wire needed to reach the starter. I am placing the battery right behind my back seat in the trunk. I will be drilling a hole for the wire and then running it through my frame up to the starter. What length did you guys use?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also guys what else will I need with my electrical system? I am kinda new to electicty. I put a 1980 454 out of a chevy 1/2 ton. So my alternator is a new one for that enginge. I have 10ft. of the two gauge welder wire, I have 3ft. of 4 gauge for the ground. What gauge will I need to connect the alt. to the starter for charging? Will I need a relay? Fuses? I have a medium load. Cd player with stock 6x9's and an electric fan (amp dram 8.9, 30 amp fuse). Thanks guys this is one of the last things I need to get my car going again. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
For the length, you'll just have to run it, cut it to length, and terminate it. I'm guessing you're grounding the battery to the frame in the rear. If that's the case, be sure and ground your engine to the frame on the other end, and be sure to use groud straps from the engine to the firewall. Make sure all terminations are clean and free of paint.

Since you're using your starter as the main junction, run an 8 Gauge wire from the alternator to the junction. It has a long way to go to feed the battery.

A Bosch relay for the fan would be a good idea.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is 8ga enough from the alternator to the starter post? I heard somewhere to use 6ga (I have a 110amp alternator), but if 8ga is ok that would be great. I have some in the shop actually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts