Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery terminal broke, literally. So I started to replace it. Upon replacing it, I found that not only did i have the red and green wire, but a big thick black one too, that makes it difficult to put all three in the terminal. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Should I just be using the normal two? See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I would trace down where the smaller wires go and if needed, add fusible links to them. You do not want a wire to short out and not have the proper protection on them at the source of power.

I do not like the type of battery terminals that clamp onto stripped insulated wire as it allows too much corrosion. Ideally, crimp on the proper sized ring terminals on each wire and then connect it to the battery. Hopefully the wires are long enough to reach and you can get back into the wire where is hasn't corroded yet for a solid connection and not on top of corrosion.

On your side post, if you do opt for a new large starter cable with the molded end, they do sell replacement studs/bolts that allow for extra ring terminals to be attached to them and not interfere with the connection of the new cable end to the battery connections face.

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim, good advice. I don't like the clamp on stripped wires either. Am I wrong in saying that i thought it was typically only two wires per terminal though? I have never seen 3 before and wonder if maybe its just an accessory of some sort.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks Jim, good advice. I don't like the clamp on stripped wires either. Am I wrong in saying that i thought it was typically only two wires per terminal though? I have never seen 3 before and wonder if maybe its just an accessory of some sort.
I've just seen (and have used them myself) through the years and all I can offer is you can do better. There are probably people out there that swear by them saying, I've had those type on my car for a thousand years and never had any issues but like what you found out, they can fail.

Most GM car's I've dealt with have the large cable off of the battery positive that goes down to the starter and then there may be a smaller wire, which is a fusible link wire, that then connects to a standard type of wire which then continues on to either a horn relay buss or a junction block on a firewall. On yours, with 3 wires, it has me wondering what the 2 smaller wires are for and that's why I suggest you trace them down to see where they go. Who knows sometimes as you might not be dealing with a virgin unmolested car and wiring. You just want to have things safe and protected.

While I have yet to find any specifications or characteristics I can understand about fusible links except how to size them, is if this third wire is for an accessory, is that wire factory ?, or was it run by someone and while the wire texture and color may mimic what the factory might have been done on your car, could someone not have known what they were doing and ran it only to possibly give you grieve later ?. This is why I would trace it down and see what it goes to.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
the red one looks pretty thick. Like Jim, just trace them back and if you can't figure it out, we're here to help. Who knows what a previous owner could have done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the project for the day! Thanks for the help guys. Love this site. I am not real knowledgeable on classics quite yet, but I know there is always someone here to help! Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts