Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was outt cruising today and all the lectrical stuff started going out. The wipers were slow as hell, turn signals were slow and then wouldn't work at all (brake lights too)and the radio wasn't working, you could barely read the digital display. When I got home, I shut the car off and then tryed to start it again but it was dead. Somehow the car still ran though, I was expecting it to stall out.
My question is, what just went out on the car? Alternator or voltage regulator? The GEN light didn't light up once, but before this it's always been dimly lit.
I know the battery is fine, I replaced it a few months ago and I also replaced the rear light harness the other day so I don't think there could be a short.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrsonny:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shawn:
This can be caused by any number of things. As you said, alt. or regulator but the starter motor can also cause this problem. You can spend a lot money and time replacing items that may not be bad. I would recommend that you go to your local garage and have them check the complete system out under load and find out what component is bad and then go to your local pep boys, kregan, etc. and buy the item and put it in. This way you are sure you got the bad item taken care of. I assume that you have cleaned you battery connectors, the ground both at the battery and at the chassis. Because you say the batt. goes down while you are driving, I would suspect the altenator. You can take this out and take it to your local auto supply and they should test it free for you...

Good luck...

Sonny

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Check the output of the alternator to ground. Measure the large B+ terminal while the car is idling. Suspect that the voltage is closer to 12 volts than the 14.5 volts it should have. The dim idiot light shouldn't happen with a good alternator.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery connectors are clean, I replaced them a while ago because the old ones were chewed up, it's all grounded and I replaced the starter about a month ago(I hope it's not that)but I don't think that could drain the battery while driving could it? It's like the battery drains the same way it would if the car was off and you were sitting in it using the accessories. It's strange the car didn't die though, I've got an HEI in there too. I'll check out the alternator, where do I get a voltage tester? Radioshack?

Also, I suspect the alternator in there is the original, anyone know of a place that rebuilds these? Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Radio Shack can sell you a meter. Most guys use a digital type because they are easier to read. There may be a local rebuilder around you. I've got a couple of small shops around me. If need be, you can always get another one and hang on to your original unit. If it is the original, it sure hung on for a long time.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John, I'll look into that and post back what was wrong. I'll probably pick up a Delco unit for now and like you said just put the old one aside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got a '70 Chevelle with a 396 and ran into this same issue today as described in the original post here...:confused: Car has been fine without any similar issue until last night. Went out and got about a mile into the drive when the air conditioning went out and then the turn signals stopped working. Got home and parked it, figuring I would check it in the morning.

Got in this morning and battery was dead. Jumped it and it ran fine, but turn signals working very slow, radio wouldn't turn on, still no air conditioning, etc. Stopped the car and tried to start it again immediately and the batter was more dead than before I jumped it and drove around. Completely out! I would assume this is way beyond a fuse or two...:confused:

Guess I'll get a meter out and start checking things, but any resolution to the original post here? Alternator?

thanks for any help guys.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I admire you for doing a search, but an 11 year old post. Wow!

If your battery is going dead, your charging system isn't working. Likely bad Delcotron or regulator. Take it down and have it tested. Battery will have to be charged also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Sudden loss of power to accessories and then dead battery

Yeah, not a lot else that came up with as close of problems as I'm experiencing and I was typing quick on a small screen, so didn't see the date. Changed title above in case it helps with the description, before posting brand new...

Again, this was a situation of having no issue and then an immediate loss of the mentioned components (a/c, radio, etc) and then overnight dead battery. I'll get it tested, but is this likely to have an instant failure to the other items aside from the battery like seems to be the case in this situation?

·
Registered
22 Posts
...and headlights come on (but dim) and interior dome light and rear floor light come on, but also dim. When I turn the key, the oil light lights up, but nothing else. I was able to jump it and get it started, but dead the second I turned it off.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
Three sets (Trio)of diodes at 4.5 volts ???= Lose one set, Voltage is 9 Volts. Check Alt. output.
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Maybe one of the moderators can move this into a brand new thread instead of adding to an-over-a- decade old thread.

The first thing that would be very helpful--is get ahold of a good voltmeter for voltage checks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts