Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As is in my signature: 66 L34 w/factory air

My battery bumped my AC compressor clutch and ground just enough platic to create a small leak. Of course this leak went undetected for a while and made an absolute mess!

I attempted to use JB Weld to repair the battery but it did not hold up.
Does anyone know of a material that will bond to the plastic battery case and hold up under the acid?

The simple answer is to spend another $90 but I cannot do that at this time. If there are no sure fire cures...

Second question: The problem I ran into during the reassembly of the car is the Gold DieHard was the only battery that would fit the car. With the factory AC and a big block this is the only battery that would fit. Anyone else out there with these options? What battery did you use? The dimension in issue was the front to rear case dimension.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Part of the problem you will have trying to bond it is the surface will never be clean. The leeching acid will keep the material from sticking to the surface. Myself, I won't play with it.
Your battery should have the BCI number on the label. Something like 38F. That's the size. Look for another battery with the same BCI number. Some junkyards by me have piles of batteries that they pulled and some look brand new. Exide might make one that fits. Here's some information along with the BCI table.
http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=003353

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey John thanks for the input. Yes I have learned that trying to seal the leak doesn't work.
It's just a brand new battery that has been destroyed. The cheapskate in me has a hard time discarding it. I will look through my documentation to determine what the correct BCI code is and work the manufacturers from there. Thanks for the links

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The BCI number should be on the top of the battery. Might be easier to find it there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts