Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be putting my battery in the trunk of my car and came across a question that no one has been able to answer. What am I supposed to do with my alternator wire. Do I need to run it all the way back to my trunk or can I just run it to my starter? I am talking about the wire that recharges the battery. Anyone know?
:confused:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good question...I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I ran a 4 gauge wire to my starter...works great!

·
Registered
859 Posts
As long as you have enough wire size from the battery terminal to the starter battery post (like at least a number 2) you can just pull a wire from the alternator to the battery post.

If you have less than a 100 amp alternator a number 6 is plenty of wire for the distance given and less than 70amps an 8 will work fine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you're are talking about the wire that is attached to the + battery wire to the block by the headlights. I used a 8 gauge wire from the batt. in the trunk, ran it all the way up front to the block!!! I never had a problem at all, I just moved my battery back up front cause the last time I was at the track they told me I had to put a full sheet across the back seat panel and put a dissconnect switch out back, I have a street car and don't want to do all that work, it wasn't worth it to me. So i put it back in front.

·
Registered
500 Posts
So do you still have to have power coming from the battery to the horn relay even if you run the alternator wire directly to the starter battery post? I can't remember, but I don't think mine had a large wire going to the horn relay before I took it apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts