Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my sisters daily driver Toy car. (toy%t*) it has been acting very strange. Today it wouldn't start at all. Have ya'll ever had a battery do intermitent bad things? I have only had connection trouble when a battery wasn't totally shot. But this one went dead cell today. VERY strange.

Chevelle content..... distant cousin Elky is fine and dandy!!!

Dave H.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have the battery tested. Its a pretty simple process, any shop will do it. It isn't common for a battery problem to be intermitent, sometimes the simptoms are though. Always have the battery tested before hunting around for invisible problems.

Wes

·
Registered
937 Posts
Dave;

I would first make sure that the posts are clean and that the connections are tight. 9 times out of 10 I have seen people have problems where all of a sudden they think they have a bad battery, but the connections are either dirty or loose or both. I don't mean to offend, but I see experienced people forget to check that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, the connection thing was what I meant when a battery isn't totally crap.

The terminals checked out. We jumped to the battery with good cables and my F-150. It would never turn the starter. Took off the negative terminal, and jumpered right to the cable.... vroom! That old battery was sucking up everything we could throw at it!

Even Die Hards die sometimes!

(the toyota puts 14.4 volts out, alternator just a couple months old)

It's got a 3 year free replacement Duralast Gold now. (the one in my truck is at least 3 years old, and the one in the Elky is just peachy!)

Sure, check the little things first!

Dave H.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've never had an intermittent battery problem, but I had a new type of failure: battery was working fine this summer, then one day I parked the car for 15 minutes, came back and it was totally dead, hardly a solenoid click. Took it in and it had some dead shorted cells. I always thought batteries got worse and worse till they quit, but apparently they can fail instantly.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.