Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a "one wire" altenator on my '66 Chevelle which got rid of the voltage regulator. After driving for a couple days I noticed liquid around and under the battery. Of cource it also went all over the wheel wells I just had powder coated. Does anyone know if it is possible to over charge the battery causing it to overflow? If so, is there an easy fix?
Please advise, Thanks
Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Check the voltage out of the alternator before yanking and sending. A perfect fully charged battery will be at 12.65 VDC. The voltage out of the alt after is turns on should not exceed 14.6 volts and is between 13 and the max depending on load and battery internal impedance,ordinarily.

It is just as likely that the battery could be ill and excessive current in trying to charge the battery made the acid effuse.

Check the battery now regardless of the issue, because it could be damaged anywho.

------------------
Steve Jack - ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets / Engineering & Marketing Technologies
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top