Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago, i was driving my '66 and i noticed whenever i went about 4000rpms or so, the engine would start to backfire. when i got home i noticed that the RED wire from my alternator had detaced itself. i put it back on and the car seemed to fun fine, but it still ran crappy at high rpms and the GEN lite stay'ed on in the dash. i went to kragen, bought a new battery, volt. regulator, and 55amp alternator. the GEN lite still stays on and the battery wont charge. it drives great once its actually started, but i've been having to charge the battery manually with my charger every 3days or so. has anyone had this happen before? its really an inconvienece to me, what do you think needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just reading some of other peoples problems, and i thought of this. i changed my ground-battery cable, and the new one didnt have the wire to ground it to the radiator support? could that be it? its just connected to the engine. also thinking my recent powder-coating of the engine bay may have made a connection not capable of current...maybe my alternat0r is just bad

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like i need to check my grounds, will do.

reading some other posts, how much do you think it would cost me to have someone rewire my car if i bought one of those Painless wiring kits? as in; what would you charge?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
First of all if I wasn't doing the work I would stick to a drop fit harness like M & H. Labor rates verus material you would be dollars ahead.
Actually not that bad to do it.
Labor here is around $65.00 an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts