Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery is not charging. I think my altenator is good. I can take the positve cabel off the batt terminal when running and it does not die.
Would this be a voltage regualtor issue???

· Registered
4,007 Posts
Going to need a little more info. If the battery is real low, it should be charged with a battery charger, it takes a lot of driving to charge a real low battery with the car and its not real good on the charging system. If the car is shut off can it be restarted, If the car sits for a day or two does the battery go dead? You may want to have the battery charged and tested to make sure its good. A simple test to check the charging system is to check the voltage at the battery with the car running at a fast idle, it should be between 14-14.5 volts.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have charged the battery. I thought first the altenator wasn't charging, while running I disconected the positve cable form the battery and the car did not die. The battery will eventually go dead again when I try to start the car. From what I can gather the altenator will run the car, but it does not seem to be charging the battery. I do not have a voltmeter right now to test the voltage at the battery. Any other suggestions? Things to check??

· Registered
4,007 Posts
TXLNGHRN said:
I have charged the battery. I thought first the altenator wasn't charging, while running I disconected the positve cable form the battery and the car did not die. The battery will eventually go dead again when I try to start the car. From what I can gather the altenator will run the car, but it does not seem to be charging the battery. I do not have a voltmeter right now to test the voltage at the battery. Any other suggestions? Things to check??
How fast does it go dead? It may have a shorted cell and not hold a charge. Take the battery out and have it load tested at a autoparts store. Also do not disconnect the battery cable with the car running, it can kill the alternator.

· Registered
959 Posts
Get the battery tested and then go get a voltmeter. You can not troubleshoot a charging problem without a voltmeter.

Once you get a voltmeter and measure the alternator output voltage (test at idle and 1500rpm) then come back with that info and we can probably help you out. Until then we'll all be taking shots in the dark.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.