Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased '68 is equipped with a Kirkland 865 Amp, 690 C.C. Amp 84 month battery. The other day I noticed that the + side had been leaking from the + side mount terminal. The top terminals are utilized and each cell appears to have proper H2O level except, of course, the end cell at the + side. When attempting to add water at that cell, it would subsequently escape (trickle) from the side mount.
I don't need to be reminded that 'I should just replace it'. Instead, I'd like to know what might have caused this situation. We've had some at- or just-below, freezing temps here lately and one overnight around 17F. I've lived in much colder regions and never experienced frozen/cracked batteries.

So,
-who distributes this Kirkland brand and
-could I just assume that the freezing caused the leakage?

Thanks,
Brian

------------------
Brian Scott
1968 el Camino Custom
307-PG Purchased 11/01 w/81k (2 CA owner)miles.
"An eBay success story!"

[This message has been edited by madaboutabba (edited 01-05-2002).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
A fully charged cell in a battery will not freeze,at least not at 17 degrees.A dead cell will freeze.You could check the leaking cell with a hydrometer to see if it is good.Of course it may be to diluted with water now to be a good cell.To much sulfuric acid may already have been lost

------------------
66 El Camino 350 4 speed
68 Nova 454 4speedMy cars[/ur

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Every brand of side terminal battery that I have ever seen come thru the dealership will eventually leak from the positive post. Seems like the current breaks down whatever adhesive holds the terminal into the case and then it leaks. I have never seen one leak from the negative side in 23 years of working with these.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1988 Trans Am
1970 El Camino (electrical system operating, Vortec engine starts and runs at last!Bodywork is continuing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FYI - Kirkland batteries as currently (no pun intended
) sold by Costco are manufactured by Johnson Controls, one of the best battery manufacturers in the business. Up until a year or so ago when they set up the new contract, they used various other suppliers including Interstate.

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts