Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

Thanks for the responses so far. I want to rephrase something to make sure I have it all right. I bought 2 TOP POST TERMINALS by Autocraft. Here is a link that takes you to precisely what I bought except made by Coleman: web page

Now with this thing, I just cut the cables where they connect to the old terminal posts, splice them back and then re-insert them into this new terminal post? And it's OK to put the TWO cables (thick and thin one) TOGETHER into the ONE area in this terminal post? It's OK if the two cables are touching in the space in the new terminal post (because there is only one space provided in the new post, not two like on my old post)? I just want to be clear about this before I try it. I don't want the battery to explode on me. :eek:

Thanks again!

Frankie

------------------------------------------

OK. So I'm starting from scratch and I'm trying to get my Chevelle running. The other day when I tried to fire it up the battery went dead. So I took it to have it recharged. The posts were cleaned. A guy at the (recharge) shop told me to clean the batter clamps (that attach to the posts) with a wire brush or Coke. I used Coke and when I went to reattach the clamps to the posts the clamps broke apart (really really rusted through and dirty). So now I'm looking to replace the clamps, which seems like no big deal, even for someone like me.

But when I went to look closer at the cables which attach to the clamps I notice that each clamp is really attached to TWO cables - a main (thicker) cable and then a smaller/thinner one that appears to be a ground mechanism since it appears to attach to the body of the car somewhere although I really have no idea what it is. When I went to the auto store to look at the clamps they didn't seem to have a fitting for this second little cable. What is this little cable? Is it necessary to have hooked up? In my Chilton's book I don't see this little cable in the pictures, I only see the main (fat) battery cable. I was planning on cutting the cable right where it meets the old clamp and then splicing the cable back some and inserting it into the new clamp. But I don't know what to do with the other (thin) cable since it seems like it'll be hanging extra.

Does this make sense? I'm a novice and I'm kind of struggling describing this simple issue. If anyone can provide guidance that would be great. I'm sure it's a super simple answer. They probably all will be for my first couple hundred questions.

Also, does the color of the clamps matter? At the store I saw both silver and gold ones.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Frankie

·
Gold Founding Member
63,815 Posts
If you buy new ends that are the "clamp onto cable" type, you can just put the smaller gauge wires under the clamp along with the larger battery cable

There should be one smaller Positive the goes from the battery " + " to the horn reley via a terminal block on the core support

There also should be one smaller gauge Negitive wire that goes from the battery " - "to the fender

Color doesn't really matter as far a functioning goes

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
Dean is right, except on some Chevelles (at least my 64) the ground cable is nearest the radiator and the smaller ground goes to a bolt on the radiator support that also has another wire connection coming from the drivers side under the support. GEt a factory assembly manual, it had detailed wiring and cable routing information. Be careful loosening and tightening the positive next to the fender, if the wrench slips you can get some pretty good sparks and damage the paint, I always put a rag there. Good luck. Patrick

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
If you use the cable ends that bolt to the cables, you can use a ring terminal on one of the bolts to add the smaller wire.

Silver clamps would look more stock, gold ones might be gold plated for corrosion resistance, or brass for heavy dutiness. If gold they MIGHT help a little for corrosion, but I don't think it would be enough to matter.

K

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the late response but one suggestion I just got done doing works out really nice. I bought a battery terminal from a co called Stinger.

www.stinger-aamp.com

They make a Platinum series that looks really sharp and it makes hooking up all the power cables really nice. I bought the pos and neg with a 4 and two 8 guage outs. Bought them from a co called Darvex.

www.darvex.com

The person I dealt with was Trail. Very nice and helpful. He also sells on Ebay.

If you are going for the stock look then this probably is not the route you want to go. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Originally posted by opus87:
Hello -
...I just cut the cables where they connect to the old terminal posts, splice them back and then re-insert them into this new terminal post? And it's OK to put the TWO cables (thick and thin one) TOGETHER into the ONE area in this terminal post? It's OK if the two cables are touching in the space in the new terminal post (because there is only one space provided in the new post, not two like on my old post)? I just want to be clear about this before I try it. I don't want the battery to explode on me. :eek:

You are doing this without the battery connected, and without the terminals ON the battery, right?

Yes, if you had a cable end with enough space for 30 wires, you could stuff them all in the same hole on the terminal. BUT, if you have one that goes to ground, it better not be the positive terminal

On A bodies, I always turn the battery around so the negative is by the fender. It isn't correct, and you need to reroute the cables, but I feel better when I do it that way.

Some of that plastic door edge molding from Pep Boyz fits right on the edge of the fender where it sticks out near the positive terminal. Might save your car if you battery hold down breaks (or you forget to put it on. Don't ask :eek: ) It's just about unnoticeable, exept by people who REALLY look at cars.

K

K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts