Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this seems obvious but I was just wondering if old/trashed ground wires would prevent the starter from turning over? I turn the key and the dash lights go on but no click or anything from the starter at all. I have replaced the starter, battery cables with lower resistance 2 gage wires and the battery in the last week and still nothing. It started with a heat soak problem that has gotten worse over the last 10 days that now the starter will not turn over at all. It did start once after I replaced the battery cables so I don't think it is the igniton switch.

After testing the starter and finding out it was bad I thought I had it solved but no go.

Thanks for any response.

Mapleaf
1968 Chevelle SS 396/350

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sounds like you have a solenoid or start circuit problem. If you don't hear any click at all then the solendoid is not energizing. Do you get 12v on the purple wire to the solenoid? If you do you have a bad solenoid, if not something is wrong in the start circuit - bad ignition switch, bad neutral safety switch, or bad start wire.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping it wouldn't be the ignition switch or something else. I was hoping for an easy fix. I just don't look forward to taking apart the dash to get at the switch in order to change it out.

So the ground wires would not have this effect?

Thanks for responding.

Mapleaf
1968 Chevelle SS 396/350 4 sp Muncie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I just thought of something that may help. When I put the key in the ignition it doesn't make the buzzing noise like it should. Would this indicate the ignition switch is bad or could it still be a wiring issue?

Thanks for any replies.

Mapleaf
1968 Chevelle SS 396/350 4 sp. Muncie

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm with Steve S on this.. no buzzing means no power to or through the soleniod. Check out that soleniod on the starter. Thats what usually goes when the starter has had heat issues. Take your starter off and take it to a electrician and he can check it out pretty easily. You also might want to put a test light or a multimeter to the ignition circuit at the starter (purple wire as steve s said) or at the fuse block and see if you are getting any power out there, that will knock out the switch issue without tearing apart the dash. How are your engine grounds? Is the strap going from the block in good shape? The battery wire to the starter in good shape? Hows about the actual solenoid wiring any dried or burnt wiring going on down there? Did you try messing with the neutral safety switch? Sometime I could get it to start in Neutral but not in Park. my .02....hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts