Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends. I have a big problem that I need help with. There is a draw on power somewhere in my 69SS. It is ok from one day to the next but if I leave it set for more than two or 3 days it will be dead. I have no idea what to check. I'm really getting frustrated. I just put a new battery in it too. Please help.

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,829 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dejablue69SS:
Hello Friends. I have a big problem that I need help with. There is a draw on power somewhere in my 69SS. It is ok from one day to the next but if I leave it set for more than two or 3 days it will be dead. I have no idea what to check. I'm really getting frustrated. I just put a new battery in it too. Please help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you could pull one fuse at a time until you find which curcuit it is..charge the battery up..pull a fuse and let it set..until you find the problem..maybe a glove compartment light?

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is probably no the answer you were looking for, but I had the same problemon my 72. I put one of those battery disconnects on it and disconnect it when it will sit for more than a day or 2. I don't know if it's the clock draining the battery or what, but for now it has alleviated the symptoms although obviously the problem still exists.

------------------
72 SS coupe clone & 69 ragtop. www.NoNecksChevelle.com

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
One trick I've been taught is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Connect a 12V test light between the battery terminal and the negative battery cable. If there is a significant draw on the battery, the light will come on. Disconnect and reconnect fuses, wire clips, etc. until the light goes off. At the point the light goes off will be the area that needs attention.
The last car I had this problem on, it turned out to be the horn contacts. The horn was inoperative but the contacts were still together.
Hope this helps.

Ed C.
---------------------------------------------
70SS 396/350 4 speed red/white
70 LS6 4 speed blue/black under restoration
00 C5 6 speed yellow

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check - trunk light, interior lights, under hood light, stereo amp to be sure it switches off, electric fans if you have em. I doubt a clock would draw the battery down in 3 days, but disconnect it if in doubt. Then do the fuse thing. An alternator with bad diodes will drain the battery, but it will not charge, and your indicator light should come on while engine is running.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://chevelles.com/showroom/alelcaminofront.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/al4/alcamino64/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Take the negative cable off the battery and hook an amp meter between it and the battery. Start removing fuses to find which circuit is the problem. Don't forget, there is more than 1 accessory on 1 fuse. Example,
(clock,interior lights, cigar lighter)
Good Luck Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts