Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My friends 69 Chevelle drains the battery when parked overnight. We have performed a very good visual inspection and everything looks good. Has anyone else had or seen this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Would possibly the power cable jummping into frame if insulation bad.Something not turning off when keys turned off.Or something that can turn on without the keys on jumping to ground.About a month ago lita was having problems with her John had some good test techniques,and also look to see if glove compartment light turns off when closed.Make sure all your connectors are clean and not broken,had one that had a crack in it and was bleeding across each other.Would have to be something before the ignition switch unless it bad and bleeding threw the body.Her post was like the middle last month.Good luck can be a pain.Can also get a drain cutoff switch for the battery after fixed, that shuts off after certain drop.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Do you have a meter or test light? If so disconnect negative battery cable and hook test light/meter between negative battery post and cable. If the light or meter does not indicate any current flow it's probably the battery, have it checked at a parts store. If light/meter indicates current disconnect large red battery cable on back of alternator and test again. Still have current flow? Post back results and we can go further if needed.

If you don't have a meter or test light disconnect red cable from back of alt overnight and see if battery still goes dead. Could have blown diodes in alt draining battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! Yes I have a test light and a Sears dwell meter which can also read volts. We will first check the glove box light and alternator. Battery is fairly new but we will check it too. Battery cables are new and all wiring looks good. I bet it's the alternator! I will post back results soon. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Will be this weekend before my friend can check his Chevelle. I will post results soon as possible.

Thanks for the help, Mike

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Remove your neg battery cable from the battery. Place your test light in between the battery cable end and the neg terminal of your battery.

If you have a drain on the system the test light will glow, at this point remove fuses from the fuse block one at a time until the light goes out, now you know what circuit your battery drain is in. Makes your troubleshooting fast and easy.

Rocky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts