Team Chevelle banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam re wiring my whole 66 chevelle and i was disconecting my + bat from my starter and found the cable was shredded with wire showing wedged in between the starter and the engine! that may be the source of my power loss when not starting the car every week. i want a new set up at the battery, i have a top loader clamp type terminals i hate the way it looks and it probably not the best connection. any ideas? and what type of insulation should is use when i re route my new cable, i hate the fact that the cable is so close to the engine and the heads! any routing ideas?
oh and what are spring release cables that ground up sells? are they something i should look into?

frank

·
Registered
221 Posts
The battery cable is stiff, so you can bend and mold it. You can route it along the inner wheel-well or down by the frame and carefully bend it to route to starter. Part of avoiding the heat is accomplished by holding and keeping the cable secure while you tighten the bolt to the starter, maintain the routing. The main thin is that you don't lay it against any source of heat or vibration where you could eventually wear through the insulation. The cable should not move much if any ... Worst case, you can use a fastener to hold the cable in place once routed...

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Not sure about a 66 but mine runs down the inner fender to the frame crossmember then back and up to the starter. If you get a factory assembly manual it shows where it was originally mounted and clamped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts