Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a trunk mounted battery in my 69 Chevelle, small block, th-350, brand new wiring(and everything else). I know that I need a positive to my starter, and a ground to my frame, but what else? Do I need a wire from my alternator to my battery? If so, from where on the alternator to what on my battery and how can I do this? What about a fusable link, of should I use an inline fuse? I also need to hook up my Moroso battery disconnect. How is that done? This is the only thing holding me back from a little crusing before winter. Any suggestions would be great Thanks. Jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
you have to run a heavy gauge wire from the small plastic block on raditor support(same size that's there now i think it's 10 gauge) that used to go to you front mounted battery, all the way back to the positive post on the battery in the trunk or your battery won't charge from the alt. follow the directions on the switch, from the ground post you'll need two ground cables, one goes from battery to the switch, the other goes to the frame, what it does is opens the connection on the ground side of the battery turning the battery off to the whole electrical system

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Jason,
Pro454chev's post (along with 68 Malibu's sugestion,which will save time/work and wire)will work unless you plan on racing the car at an NHRA track. They say it has to be on the outside of the car and the break in the cable has to be in the positive cable. It also has to kill the engine when shut off, this is sometimes difficult. If you have the newer switch that has two large terminals for the battery cables and two small terminals on the back it is easy. Run the alternator to battery charging wire ( the one mentioned in the post by pro454) to one of the small terminals and a wire from the other small terminal to the + battery. If you do not have the small terminals on the back of the switch you have to do some extra wiring to make it kill the motor . If you are not going race it then just put the switch inside the trunk (there is a hole in the hinge brace that works well) and drive it. If you want it to kill the engine when shut off and you still have the original style alternator, with the external regulator, e-mail me and I'll send you a wiring diagram showing how I did it.
GaryR
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.