1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
108 Posts
You won't have to get the acid for the battery. Shipped dry means the chemicals in the battery are there, just not in their aqueous (diluted with water) form yet. You will just have to add water to activate the battery.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
You can get the acid at your local NAPA store, and it will need acid. My brother in law and a close friend bought reproduction batteries at Carlisle and the seller said that acid would have to be added.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
AutoZone sells acid too. Or you may be able to get some at a motorcycle shop. Any type of battery that sits on a shelf for a while will be "dry" to extend the life of the battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought one of those batteries three years ago and it needed a combination of Battery Acid and Distilled Water afterwards. I purchased it from someone called Antique Auto Batteries who was at Englishtown NJ. Also once you get the battery the first thing to do is fill the battery to a certain limit (which they explain where) and then charge the battery at a very low amperage for about 20 hours. Finally then you top off the acid with some distilled water. Then walla it is all done....

------------------
ACES Member #2987
1972 Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
3,355 Posts
Just as another option, try looking at the battery 'toppers' that make a standard battery look like an R59 by fitting over the top of them.
After going through 3 of the reproductions over the past ten years, I bought a battery topper and it's been great. Looks like stock and I can shuffle the battery into another vehicle when the Chevelle is parked.

All the R59's I bought (standard and heavy duty) needed to be filled with battery acid - a commodity which is getting tough to find in small towns.

Al

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jerry

....Just a tip. You might try talking to the guys at your local parts store and see if they will fill the battery for you. That way you won't have any of that nasty sulfuric acid laying around and you may even save the jeans you are wearing. The best part is that it is usually quite inexpensive.

You are so right about the internals of the battery making the difference. I've included a link that discusses exactly how a battery works and why they usually only last about 4 to 5 years.
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq2.htm

Hope this helps you out!

------------------
1965 El Camino
TC# 1965

Moderation is great... as long as there is plenty of it!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. I was actually looking at the battery toppers first, but wasn't sure if it would fit ANY battery. If I had to buy a new battery (Excide or Carquest) just to make the "topper" fit, then I'm spending close to what the R59 battery costs....but when I replace the Excide or Carquest battery, I could reuse the topper....

So, does the topper work with only certain batteries?

Thanks,

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible
Body work and interior started June 02 - UPDATED 9/29/02

My 2001 Z28 - LS1

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to agree with these reporduction batteries mine went so quickly because of a charing problem but again I am forced to buy one because my cars originality and I do not think they make a battery topper for side mount batteries??? Does anyone know if they do?

------------------
ACES Member #2987
1972 Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get a topper. My repo lasted a year. No one can tell the topper isn't a repo unless they really look. I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought a Delco battery. The topper fits great and the battery has a warranty.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
Coming soon 1969 Tripower setup, "842" aluminum heads
Former Fathom Green '69 Chevelle SS 396 4-speed owner

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts