Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we all know that the gas produced by a battery being charged is hydrogen, and that is the main reason for no open flames around a battery. But, if the battery is at rest, I.E no load or charging input, is there still hydrogen gas present, and is sulfuric acid itself flammable???
Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
NO and NO.
The H2 gas is the result of a chemical reaction caused by electrolysis. If there is no electrolysis occuring then no chemical reaction results, thus no H2 gas.
Sulfuric acid has no hydrocarbons, thus it is non-flammable. BUT IT CAN BURN LIKE HELL!! Flush with lots and lots of water and/or neutralize with lots of baking soda if necessary.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 04-08-99).]

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
DZAUTO is right, but be aware that batteries don't stop off-gassing instantly as you turn the engine off. It can take a while. Yes, I learned the hard way, is there some other way?

Tom

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I installed an Optima battery in my 64 a year ago and so far the only thing that I have had to clean off of it is dust. No outgassing or corrosion. There a little pricey, but I saw one last more than 10 years in one of our company trucks.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.