Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
If that is a real BM Chevelle, it is the first one I like. BM Chevelles usually are way ugly IMHO. Anyways, I don't see why anybody would spend that kind of money on such a car.

Olli

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Anyone interested in this car should do their homework before purchase.
I would like to see the documentation on this car. They don't show any in the ad. The engine does not look like a Motion engine from 1971. Many of the Motion cars used the old style Mallory distributor and coil and a Phase III ignition box. This one claims to have a MSD box which I don't know if they even had those in 1971 and has a modern looking NOS tank in the trunk. The only thing from Motion I can see in the pictures is Motion emblems on the valve covers which Motion used to sell to anyone as mail order items. The write up sounds like a load of BS just like the write up on the red Camaro they have for sale that they say has a "one of five" Yenko engine in it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The ad also suggests this car started life with an LS-6 that Baldwin turned into 650 hp. One look at the intake reveals this to be an oval port head engine, which is in keeping with an LS-5 which was the only verified 454 available in 71. Initial impression is of a very expensive clone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
AS I have said in numerous ads there are only a few one or two owner cars with low miles and original equipment AND ORIGINAL paperwork. If it doesn't have that then it's a clone in my book, and by the looks of this one I could say it's Nice. 165000 dollars for a 1971 Chevelle that isn't frame off restored
and no original paperwork, not a chance. The VIN on 1971 chevelles will indicate if it is a true SS; 13667 should be the numbers and it still could be a 350 SS as they made those in 1971. So 165000, at this point in time no way. Also the ad claims that the car was found at an estate in the mid 1980's, well befor these cars were really valuable, IN the mid 1980's I think it would be hard for most to see this car as a valuable car. Check how many owners it has had in the last 12 years, if it's the same owner I would be surprised.

·
Banned
181 Posts
irongolf said:
AS I have said in numerous ads there are only a few one or two owner cars with low miles and original equipment AND ORIGINAL paperwork. If it doesn't have that then it's a clone in my book, and by the looks of this one I could say it's Nice. 165000 dollars for a 1971 Chevelle that isn't frame off restored
and no original paperwork, not a chance. The VIN on 1971 chevelles will indicate if it is a true SS; 13667 should be the numbers and it still could be a 350 SS as they made those in 1971. So 165000, at this point in time no way. Also the ad claims that the car was found at an estate in the mid 1980's, well befor these cars were really valuable, IN the mid 1980's I think it would be hard for most to see this car as a valuable car. Check how many owners it has had in the last 12 years, if it's the same owner I would be surprised.

Boy if this isn't the pot calling the Kettle Black...LOL your one piece of work
i'll give you that much.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
i thought that 1972 was the first year you could detetmine the engine ci from the fifth digit in the VIN. have i been off all this time? it is my understanding that joel rosen is the only one for sure who knows how many of each car was produced. mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea I went back to my book and I read it wrong, thats right, that vin no. I quoted were afforded the option didn;t necessarily have it? Damn I hate that when it happens. As for the rest well obviously it's speculation, but it doesn;t seem like a 165000 dollar car, but thats just me.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go back and look at the photo of the intake. It looks like a bad photoshop edit to me. The carb looks like its hanging out in space on the passenger side of the car.

Rob

I guess that it is a scorpion type intake so I correct myself. The carb is just turned.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is with Joel Rosen's hot rodded cars, he did nothing you couldn't do yourself.... The last time I was in Motion Performance was around 1988 and although Mrs Rosen is a very nice lady, Joel isn't.... I had a very good arguement with him on a wide body camaro he had that was falling apart.....

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I was at Joel's house a few years ago and there was a yellow wide body 1984 Camaro in his driveway. It is now being restored and you will probably see it in a magazine soon.

The Baldwin Motion cars are in high demand with collectors and will pull a big premium at auction because of their history.
It is like a Picasso painting selling for 50K compared to a similar painting by a unheard of artist selling for 5K .

Joel Rosen "Mr. Motion" custom built street/strip cars were set up like his drag cars. A 1968 427 Motion Phase III Chevelle would blow the doors off a stock 396 SS Chevelle. The Motion Phase III cars were advertised as "the quickest and fastest street & strip Supercars in the country" They were outrageous and expensive custom built cars that you could buy with a warrantee, GMAC financing, and guarantee to run a mid 11 sec quarter mile. If you wanted to go faster a modified L88 was also available. You could get the same thing from many of the other high performance dealers but they were not as bold as Motion with the wild graphics, full page ads, and the many articles in the East coast high performance car magazines. From 1970 to 1974 the Motion 454 cars dominated the Chevy Supercar market as many of the other high performance dealers stopped or reduced production. Motion sold custom $10,000.00 1970 Phase III Corvettes and even a Phase III 454 Vega that that was advertised as a 9 sec. street/strip car until the government stopped Motion from selling street cars in the U.S.A.
If you look in a late 60s/early 70s Cars Magazine you will see the wild Motion advertising that ads to the mystique and historical significance of the Motion cars. Going by the prices on the Motion cars it looks like collectors will pay high prices for the cars that were advertised as the "quickest and the fastest Supercars in the Country".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Makes For A Great Story Though!!, Let Me See If i Was To Document The Parts I Have In My Old Chevelle LOL I Think It Should Be Work 365,000!! LOL And It Wasn't Motion That Built It , It Was Me In A old Garage In The Middle Of No Where USA,Remember Folkes You Can Not Obtain A PHD From Chevelle University LOL That Makes Be A Dr Of Chevelles LOL,Say What Ya Want I Dunno If I Would Even Want A High Dollar Car Like That To Get Ripped Off, Of Whatever At Least Mine I Built I Know What"s In It And I Can Replace Parts If It Gets Damaged, This Guy Put The Money Into It But He Is Trying To Get It Back, We All Know What We Stick Into Out Little Dream HOT RODS, And It More Then Likely Will Not Sell For All The Hard Work You Put Into Them And Parts!! Thanks Guy"s
Chev702

1 - 20 of 34 Posts