Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchsed the baer track kit with the 13" rotors that increases front track by 1/8". "They're called "Track" kits, because the front kit will increase your car's track by 1/8" - quote from opgi's website. Now I was going to run 17x8 wheels with a 4.75 backspace (that is what everyone else seems to run without the track kit) but with the increased track width, do I need to adjust the backspacing to acomodate the added tracking width? If so, what should my backspacing be?
THanks, Matt

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the exact same front brakes on the frt. of my 66, with a 4.5 backspace and no problems, you should be good to go with your wheel choice. Curious what wheels did you pick?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have those brakes on my 66. I have 17x8 wheels with a 4.25" BS and 245/45 tires. I also have the Belltech 2" drop spindles as part of the package.

I had 2 minor issues with that setup:
1) I had to roll the wheel well lips to keep the trim off the tire.
2) I get a rub on the flat portion of the rear of the inner fender at full lock. Not much of a problem because it's more of a tread to flat metal contact, no sharp edges and never happens at any sort of speed to be concerned about.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went and talked to my local wheel shop today and was describing the situation to them aswell, and they recommended that we add 1/16" backspacing to the 4.75 which makes it a 4.78 now, and that should cover my bases with the 17x8 wheel. I'll probably be curcified for this decision, but I've always liked these wheels a lot, and a lot of people seem to go with torque thrusts, so all of that weighed in on my decision. My final decision was a set of shelby 427 wheels from american racing in the grey finish. http://www.americanracing.com/browse_carroll.asp
These are going on my 67 chevelle, with an 18x10 in the rear (5.5 backspacing) and will be wrapped in nitto 555's. The car will be dropped about 1.5" in front & 1" in rear thanks to the SC&C front kit & hotchkis lowering springs. Now if anyone has any imput on the setup (my backspacing & wheel size choice), and if their will be problems, please speak now, or forever hold your peace. LOL
Matt

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I run the AR 427's on my car. I bought them right after they were introduced. I chucked up the spinner adapter in a lathe and faced the "SHELBY" logo off of them. :p

A friend recently bought a set of 427's for his Mustang and they have changed the knockoffs since I bought mine. The knockoffs on my wheels are fairly flat and are chromed just like in the pictures on the AR website. However the new set my friend just purchased have polished aluminum knockoffs with much more "kick" to the knockoff so they stick out more. I like the looks of the new ones better.

You could fit 17 x 9.5 up front if you wanted to. With a 17 x 8 either a 4.5 or 4.75 backspacing will work just fine. 17 x 8 with 255/45/17 and 18 x 10 with 295/35 out back would work well.

The 427's have plenty of spoke clearance for the Baer Track setup. They don't have enough clearance for a C5 or C6 based PBR brake setup, but for C4 PBR's (the Baer Track setup) there is more than enough room.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gokou,
Man, I thought I was going to be in virgin terretory with my selection. Although, seeing the pic of your 69 and how awesome they look on it really give me an aire of comfort with the selection. The tires I was going to run were going to be 245/45/17 on the front & 295/45/18 on the rears - I like a little more sidewall if I can get away with it. As for the wider tire, if I was actually going to roadrace the car, I'd max out the front, but I'll just stick to the 8" wide up front for moneys sake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.