Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The timing chain was fairly worn, is this was caused the damage to the block and timing chain cover or is there some adjustment to be made? I am replacing the cam and timing set but I don't think the damage is a problem. The gear on the crack was VERY tight and I had a slow hard time gwetting it off, isn't this gear suppose to be free on the crank?

http://www.hopeandcompany.com/webcam/4166.jpg

http://www.hopeandcompany.com/webcam/4169.jpg

Also, the cam appears to be OK but look at that first cam bearing. It is a little rough on the right side there. Is all the force on the left side of the bearing? Do I need to replace it? If so how do I replace it, I have never done this before.

http://www.hopeandcompany.com/webcam/4168.jpg

Please give me your quick response as I hope to start on this later today or tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
There is no adjustment on the gears or chain tension, if it was really loose, it was just plain worn out. The crank gear is supposed to be really tight, it's pressed or driven on...there is no play. I'll leave the bearing questions to the pro's, but I dont believe replacing cam bearings is a job you want to tackle yourself...and if you need one, you need them all.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
your cam bearing is normal, don't sweat it. the dark area between 5 and 7 o'clock is the worn area, the sides have never been touched.

I don't know how the inside of the cover got damaged, it looks like the bolt heads were hitting it. was there anything bolted to the front of the cam with the three bolts? The cover may have been just pushed in. hold it up and sight across front, it shouldn't be dished in.

The front of the block is normal.

That lower gear is tight, usually needs a puller of some type to get it off.

I think you're good to go. If the cover is dished in hit it with something, straighten it out.

·
Super Moderator
13,352 Posts
Darren,
Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but the front of the block where the cam gear rides looks pretty worn to me. Did the cam have a cam button on the front of it ? Was it mashed tight against the timing cover ? Small blocks normally dont have a problem with the front of the block like this. If it is worn badly, you are going to have to correct it or you will have problems. Cloyes makes a bronze spacer to go on the sprocket and take up the wear, but you have to know how much it is worn.

Also ... if you look in your first picture, directly above the middle oil gallery plug, the timing chain has been rubbing on the block. If its a double roller chain, some blocks need to be relieved at that point. Or it could be because the front of the block is worn.

You probably need to have somebody look at it that has a little more experience. Its hard to diagnose without the parts in front of me.

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
I see the spot where the chain rubbed, I figured it was self-clearanced. :)

I'm wondering if the timing cover pushed in caused the marks on the inside of the cover and the funny-looking thrust area.

You can check if the block is too worn by using a straight edge across the front. Clean the gasket surfaces where the timing covers seals, find a straight edge something that will reach across but not so long as to hit stuff like a power steering bracket. the front surface where the cam rides is supposed to be flush with the gasket surface. If it's not post a note back here.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I noticed that the 3 bolts that hold the cam sprocket to the cam and the timing chain are not damaged which tells me the damage was done previously. The timing chain cover is not pushed in at all but obviously it is getting replaced. I put the cam back in, scraped the gasket off and with a straight edge on it the cam sticks out about a 16th of an inch from where the timing cover meets the block ... so about the thickness of a gasket.

So ... she is going back together tomorrow as I want to actually finish it once I start, just how I like to do it.

·
Super Moderator
13,352 Posts
Darren,
Its not the cam that you want to measure. The front of the block, where it looks worn in your picture, is what should be flush with the timing cover mounting surface. If this surface is not at the correct level, the cam will be "in" too far and the lifters will not be aligned with the lobes properly. This is VERY important if you dont want to wipe the new cam.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything is flush so that is good. I am getting closer to re-installation however, the new lifters that came with the cam kit have a small line cut about a half inch up from the bottom but most of the lines are inconsistent, like the center was off when it was cut. The lifters I had in my other engine were all consistent so I feel like I have to call Summit and get another set?

Thank you everyone for helping me get this together. I have the common sense module plugged in and can wrench but just haven't ever gone this far into the engine!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New lifters are on the way. I even ordered a few more items and they said they won't charge handling. Cool.

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
the foot of the lifter is pressed on to the body, it made from a different type of steel. It's normal to be able to see a fine line where they meet but I don't recall seeing any that were uneven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts