Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 68 chevelle malibu w/ 327 and TH350, i have a B&M starshifter installed. The neutral safety switch and back up lights are still wired to the column. I belive the NSS is the two purple wires and the BLights are purple w/ green. I have the switch in my shifter for the NSS wires, but not for the backup lights. I have an empty spot in my dash and thought about installing a toggle switch so i can turn on the back up lights whenever i want. Anyone else done this before? (Plus i thought it would always be cool to flash my backup lights in the middle of traffic if i'm being tailgated :D )

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don’t have my wiring diagram in front of me but from memory (please check on this) at least in 69 the NSS has purple and purple/white wires and they are a heavy gage. The backup lights do use pink/green wires of a lighter gage so I think you’re right on the wires. For the backup lights (on a 4-speed) the back drive link pivots the column link that closes the circuit for the backup lights. I would think that some vender must make a shifter mounted switch that would work just like the column switch. Also, the toggle switch may not pass some states inspection and could become a PITA.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Your B&M shifter should have a spot to "stack" another microswitch on top of the NSS one. Look at the steel groove just above the NSS groove, you should see that when in reverse, the switch arm will be pressed, completing the circuit. Buy another microswitch (Jeg's or Summit has them) and stack on top of the NSS switch with longer bolts. Then find the B/U light wires at your column, verify their operation with a test light, and splice in longer lengths of wire back to the microswitch. Then it will be a "hands off" set of backup lights, the way it should be.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i found the 2nd switch mount on the shifter. Time to test some wires and have at it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts