Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys a little help with my problem--not too aware how this is suppose to work--have 71 ss, 350/270hp/muncie 4sp--no backup lights work and was told that tranny must be in reverse to start vehicle--can start it in any gear--checked backup-tail fuse and it is ok--see alot of nuetral/backup safety switches for at trannys but see nothing for manuals--is the switch on the tranny and if so what does it look like--is there suppose to be a wiring harness-plug that goes to it and what side of the tranny would it be on--i need some serious help here to get this bad boy on the road--bought it on e-bay--other than that it is bad-ass---thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
it has to be in reverse to remove the key if the backdrive is still hooked up not to start. the factory had linkage from the reverse arm on trans to a pivot on frame that turns the steering column, thats what turns on back up lights and locks shifter in reverse when you remove the key. if you have headers or if car was an automatic from the factory the linkage might no be there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Check to see if you have a linkage from the trans to the steering column, if not thats why your reverse lights don't work. For your year of car there is no switch on the trans. On the 71 everything is controlled by the steering column. Your neutral safety/reverse switch is mounted on the column as well. The switch could be bypassed thats why it starts in any gear.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
From the factory the 71 start safety switch for manual trans is a switch attached to the clutch linkage. Ya gotta to push the clutch to start.

I can post a picture of the switch if you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help guys--any available pics of linkage and switch setup or a web site to go to for this i would appreciate it---thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts