Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can think of several things that will cause this condition, cracked dist. cap, crossed or bad plug wires, bad timing chain. i'm trying to reset my timing after replacing an intake and i can't seem to get the initial set due to it backfiring through the carb. i know i'm on TDC and the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug position on the cap. i've plugged the vacuum line any obvious stuff i've missed? i plan on replacing the rotor and maybe the cap on this 454 w/hei.
thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You could still be 180 off. Rotate the engine by hand. watch the #1 intake valve rocker. When the valve closes, continue to rotate the engine until the timing mark on the damper aligns with the TDC mark on the tab. The rotor should be near the #1 position on the distributor. If not remove the distributor and reset it to align with #1.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks randy, looked at that. the TDC mark was right on the piston was up and both valves we're closed. i checked the resistance in my wires last year and they we're good. maybe my rotor got cracked in all the moving around?? john

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks. I once did a intake swap and when I went to fire it up, it was backfiring thru the carb. just as you described. Started double checking everything, and it turns out that I either missed torquing down a couple of intake bolts, or they somehow mysteriously backed out. Tightened them up, all was well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.