Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this in engines, maybe this is better. I havent had my car started for many months, its a 350 in a '67. when i start it, it doesnt idle well, it runs extremely hot, and it has an almost rythmic backfire from the tailpipes, and occasional backfire from the carb. I can retard or advance timing, it still does it. any suggestions?? I really dont know which direction to start at..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Typically, backfires from the exhaust are from unburnt fuel being ignited in the exhaust. Lot's of possible causes. Sometimes it's a carb dumping more fuel than the ignition can burn but more often it's an ignition problem preventing the fuel from getting burned in the cyl. I'd start by checking the plugs. If the problem is isolated to one cyl it should be obvious. The problem could be just about anywhere (wires, coil, plugs, cap, rotor, valve adjustment, retarded timing, etc., etc.. It could also be more than one problem. The easiest way to know what is wrong is to know what isn't.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, this will give me a good starting point. Its a real odd backfire, every couple seconds, and at the same time backfires at the carb when i give it gas. had a couple people listen to it and not many ideas- Im using an old 650 holley rebuilt about 3 years ago and not used really since. float levels are right and idle screws are about half a turnCCW. does this sound right??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts