Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
the backup light switch should be at the base of the steering column, acutated by backdrive linkage from the shifter that rotates the steering column collar to work the switch. Chances are if you dont have the factory shifter someone may have tossed the backdrive linkage. If it is there, and the switch is there, its just a matter of either a bad switch, switch adjustment, or wiring. There should be two light green wires at the base of the column for the switch.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

G

·
I would bet that 90 percent of the time the backdrive was disconnected on these cars. As was said, the actual switch is at the base of the steering column. There is a plug going into it. If you're using a Hurst shifter and decide to use a Hurst backup light switch, you can simply unplug that plug and tap in there with the wiring from the Hurst switch. The Hurst switch mounts to the back of the shifter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently hooked the lights back up on my 71 chevelle. It's no joke when I say it took a solid 30 minutes to get all 4 to work simultaneously. I finally realized that my bulbs were SO sensitize, that they had to be in the perfect position to work. Any slight twist and all four of my back lights go out!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Four backup lights on a '71? What else lights up beside the 2 clear lenses in the bumper? Those are the only backup lights as far as I know.

------------------
Member #848
1971 Chevelle SS454-Clone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts