Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hey guys,

I've got a 67 Malibu with 350 TH auto. I can't seem to get the damn back-up lights to work. I've done the simple, cleaned the ground, the bulb sockets, replaced bulbs, etc. Now here are some symptoms. With the ignition on, the Gen light is very faintly lit, however, it comes on bright when I shift into reverse. The same holds true when the car is running. The Gen light is always on faintly no matter what RPM. As soon as I go into reverse, its bright. Car starts in Park and neutral, but not in any other gear ( I know this is the way its supposed to work, just letting you know). Also there is no power to the fuse panel for the brake lights. I just did the disc brake conversion and maybe I goofed some where, anyone with any ideas. TIA

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Do the turn signals work OK? They are on the same circuit as the backup lamps. If the turn signals do not work, then start at the fuse. Also, the switch for the backups may be bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blinkers work fine. I will go under and check the back up switch, however, if there is no power to the fuse panel, something up stream should be the problem. Doesn't power come from the regulator? :confused:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
You have power to the fuse panel otherwise nothing inside the car would work. Sounds like there may be more than one problem.
If you want to start with the backup lights, check the pink wire on the Neutral Safety Switch. This wire should have 12 volts to ground with the key turn to ON. The green wire, in the same connector, gets 12 volts to ground, when the trans selector is put into "R".

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Don't have a clue but here is my thoughts.
Don't try relate, troubleshoot one at a time.
Disconnect the voltage regulator and ground the wire at 4 the alt light. The light should come on.
Ign on, not running, measure the voltage at the two wires at the reverse light switch.
OK what if you somehow reversed the wires.....
When you switch to reverse you provide a ground for the alt light and it would be bright but the reverse lights would be out as they would not get enough current to light both bulbs. The charging system may or maynot work as there is no trickle start from the alt light circuit.
Hmmmm

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advise. I started with working the voltage problem like John said by checking the voltage across the battery. The altenator is producing ~13V. So then I went over to the regulator and checked the power there. Had good power, then went back to the fuse box. This is where I lost the power across the backup fuse. I then went under the hood and guess what I found. It seems that while I was replacing all teh brake components, I must have pinched a damn wire. The brown wire coming from teh voltage reg to the right fuse box coupler. Fixed that and voila, I got breaks. I also cleaned up teh regulator connection and the glowing Gen light went away. Old car - old problem! I owe you guys a beer. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts