Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks, I've got kind of an ethical question for you. I have a 71 Malibu- non SS- and it needs seat covers. The stock int. was deluxe-cloth inserts- and the Year One price for new covers is $525.00. Big money! The vinyl covers are $165.00 for the front and less for the rear. My question is: Is my car going to lose a lot of value if I use the vinyl covers? Is fact. deluxe interior that rare? I realize this is my decision, but I want my car back on the road! This forum has always been a good source of info. and opinions, so let's hear from you. Thanks in advance. Stan71

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You can always go with the vinyl now and recover years later with the cloth if you want it.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
91 formula
TC member #493

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, I thought about that, but what will the cloth ones cost five years from now? Hard decision, for sure. Later.

·
Premium Member
4,941 Posts
I know that it is a lot of money. But if it is what you really want, wait and get it. Every time that I have cut a corner or compromised something on my car, I have ended up regretting it. AND, usually redoing it the way I wanted to anyway at additional cost! My .02

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1991 Z/28
1970 El Camino (in progress!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, then, here's another related question. How difficult is it to install the GM seat covers if I decide to get them? The rears don't need any rebuilding, but I'm afraid the front needs some foam and maybe the outside springs. I'm darn handy, any how-to books or videos available? Thanks, guys and girls. This is the best forum!
Stan71

·
Registered
543 Posts
have you considered pulling out the seats and taking them to a pro upholstery shop, they may be able to get the original material. there is a difference in the kits you get from year one or opg vs, the kits the professionals use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leeds, I went to one guy who said he'd do both seats for $850. Another guy said the cloth alone is $250 per yard, so I never got a total figure from him. I guess $850 just freaks me out a little. Can I borrow some money? I promise I'll pay you back.
Stan71

[This message has been edited by Stan71 (edited 08-01-2000).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just redid my seats in black vinyl , its just like the original and it came out very good! only down side is its kinda hot when sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ernest, did you get them?As a kit? If so, where did you get them? How much were they?
Stan71

[This message has been edited by Stan71 (edited 08-02-2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts