Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; i'm going to try to word this the best i can so bear with me guys,i'm trying to hook up tail lights etc.on my 66 chevelle and am running into great trouble all i have to use is a test light,the trouble is i have bright turn signals the way they should be,but dim brake lights and when i try both at the same time the brake light kinda flickers too and the turn goes dim,also when i turn the parking lights onnothing works, and when i just put the parking lights on themselfs they don't work either but i have power on all the wires (brown,yellow,blue,) at the sockets,also the socket itself is live when i touch it with my test light,do i have a bad ground problem?or do you think its all in the sockets themselfs.also i don't see a ground wire for the lights in the back do they get their ground when socket is installed in light assembly?thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I know the sockets are grounded through the light assembly. You might want to change the sockets themselves. Maybe they have some corrosion, or a wire is a little loose in the socket...electrical problems stink
Maybe you should check the brake light switch too, just to make sure....hope maybe i helped a little....

------------------
Bryan
-66 sedan-'glass hood, fenders and bumpers(will be hugger orange)
-355, 11.4:1, 250/256 @.050, .555/.560 lift, ported tfs heads(better than AFR's), Super Victor intake, 825 Demon, ATI converter, 'glide, moser 12 bolt w/4.88's, 4 wheel discs,and NOS Big Shot
-87 K20 350 tbi, 3"body lift, 4" susp. lift, and 38" balonies
-"big blocks are for babies" ;)

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The brake light and the turn signal use the same filament in the bulb, I think you are trying to use the taillight filament for one of them and that is why your taillight wont work. Maybe John Muha or Elree Colby will drop in here and help.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Elree's probably outside today. It's close to 90 degrees here. Anyway.

Start out on the brake lights first.
Have someone step on the brakes.
1, With your test light touch the left socket (yellow wire) with one of the test leads. Touch the other test light lead to a good clean frame ground. Test light work OK?
2, With your test light touch the right socket (green wire) with one of the test leads. Touch the other test light lead to a good clean frame ground. Test light work OK?
3, Install good 1157 bulbs. Old dirty ones make poor contact.
4, Step on the brakes again. Do both sides light up and does brightness look even?
5, If not, get a piece of wire. Touch the bulb base right where it meets the glass with one end of the wire. Touch the other end of the wire to your good clean frame ground.
6, Step on the brakes again. Does that "fix" the bad bulb?

Post back some test results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,I took all 3 of your advices!! went out this morning at spent $14.00 at the local Canadian Tire and got myself 2 new sockets,then installed them the way the previous owner had them still didn't work, so I grounded them the way John said and also reversed the wires on the sockets and everything seemed to work better,the longest element in the bulb is for parking lights and I also found out that at least one of the sockets should be installed in the light assembly for a ground otherwise the outside of the socket casings are live,don't know why but they are, but when atleast one is installed in the assembly they aren't.go figure!!! hope this helps someone else with the same problem,and once again guys thanks very much!!! every thing is working fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts