Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 72 chevelle.
Is there a kit sold for installing the back glass? I have looked and haven't found one.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
No kit required. You either set it on a bead of urathane or you roll out a thick cord of buytl tape and set the glass on it. Window channel must be clean and painted, molding clip installed first, and a couple of rubber blocks set in the bottom channel to prevent the glass from sliding done over time.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Butyl tape is evil. Urethane is a acquired skill. Test fit mouldings first. Follow package directions for primers on either butyl or urethane. Most parts stores and auto paint suppliers sell both. You may want to hire a skilled auto glass technician, but if you are skilled yourself, you can do it....

Steve O.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I need to figure out the reinstall of back glass on my 74 for when I pull it out. It seems that the factory glue has a rope in it to space the glass about a quarter inch up, and whatever they used has a timed self removal built into it. I will assume the earlier cars are similar with the spacing.

Bill

·
Registered
285 Posts
My glass was about 40% self un-installed, and leaking water into the car. With a razor it is easy to get in and I have done another 15%, but until I need it out I will not be doing more.

Would rather do it myself, but...

Is that price for labor only or parts too? Was that at their shop?

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,311 Posts
Kevin, I have always used the Butyl tape kit. I think 3/8 is the correct size. You should purchase a small can of brushable primer too. Make sure you have all the moulding retainer clips on hand too. The glass needs to be squeaky clean for best results. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Bill that was at their shop. So far as I know, that included everything. I was having a new windshield installed at the time, and got to see his technique, and the materials used. He applied urethane from a powered caulking gun, which I assumed would be the same for the rear glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts