Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF's son brought home a baby bat on Monday. The bat was injured and not moving.
I told him take that thing outside, and be careful it probably has rabies.:yes:

He calls animal control, and they tell him there hasn't been a case of rabies in Cali for over 50 years.

I get a "told you so" from the kid.:D

They pick up the bat the next day, and euthanize it.

The kid is bummed because they killed it.

Today we found out it had rabies.:yes:

So I guess we have to take the kid to Dr. to get checked.:mad:

Can't blame the kid, I would have done the exact same thing.:D

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I think the animal control person was confused. Perhaps he had rabies :)

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I wonder how many other cases their have actually been in the last 50 years.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
I guess I'm ignorant about bats and/or rabies. If it didn't bite anybody, why does your son have to be checked out?

A couple of years ago, a bat got into my house somehow. It flew around the house for a few seconds with my cats hot its trail, then it disappeared. The cats were sitting and staring up the chimney, so I thought the bat left via the chimney and I closed the flu. A couple of days later, my cat comes down the hall with a live bat in his mouth. After 20 minutes of comical adventure (too bad there's no video) I got the bat away from the cat and out the door. Two years later the cat and I still show no signs of rabies. Maybe we just got lucky?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm ignorant about bats and/or rabies. If it didn't bite anybody, why does your son have to be checked out?

A couple of years ago, a bat got into my house somehow. It flew around the house for a few seconds with my cats hot its trail, then it disappeared. The cats were sitting and staring up the chimney, so I thought the bat left via the chimney and I closed the flu. A couple of days later, my cat comes down the hall with a live bat in his mouth. After 20 minutes of comical adventure (too bad there's no video) I got the bat away from the cat and out the door. Two years later the cat and I still show no signs of rabies. Maybe we just got lucky?

:D

This a ruff and tumble kid, so if he has a cut on his hand and he touched it, he has been exposed to it.

At least that is what I assume after checking Webmd.com

There is even mention of it being airborne, but I think you would have to be in a bat cave.:D

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
:D

This a ruff and tumble kid, so if he has a cut on his hand and he touched it, he has been exposed to it.

At least that is what I assume after checking Webmd.com

There is even mention of it being airborne, but I think you would have to be in a bat cave.:D
just don't let him bite you :)

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 chevelle malibu convertible
3,422 Posts

bats don't automatically have rabies. maybe the one you encountered wasn't rabid. or maybe you have a superb immune system! :D

i found 4 bats sleeping under my train board last winter. took them all outside. i never got sick either.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So I guess we have to take the kid to Dr. to get checked.
Theres no checking him out. If the bat had a confirmed case of rabies he's going to get the shot. I hear it's one big one now. The sooner the better cause if you wait to long there is no curing it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomorrow he should bring home a rat with babies.
Then I will make him feed them to the cat.:D

Heres a little info I found. http://www.dhs.ca.gov/ohb/hesis/rabies.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats.html

Jay. Heres a link for your GF's son to check out. CDC Rabies, Just for kids
Thanks Scott.:thumbsup:

I didn't even think of him being able to contract it through his eyes and other places.

I also didn't know about the one week incubation.:eek:

I thought is was 4-6weeks, but I am wrong.

Someone from some gov. agency wants to see him tomorrow.

I made him a TFH.:noway:

Tomorrow is Dr. time, it has already been 3 days.:(

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
The sooner the better cause if you wait to long there is no curing it.
Thats not true at all anymore. We had a case here in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin a few years back, a young girl was cleaning a church and was bitten by a rabid bat and she did get rabies. She is a live and healthy girl today yet. The doctors did some experimental stuff and tried things that hadn't been tried and they discovered how to cure rabies. If you would like to look it up, I believe the girls name was Jeanna Giese, or something very similar to that, but it's been awhile. Actually here is a link to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanna_Giese

Jeff

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats not true at all anymore. We had a case here in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin a few years back, a young girl was cleaning a church and was bitten by a rabid bat and she did get rabies. She is a live and healthy girl today yet. The doctors did some experimental stuff and tried things that hadn't been tried and they discovered how to cure rabies. If you would like to look it up, I believe the girls name was Jeanna Giese, or something very similar to that, but it's been awhile. Actually here is a link to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanna_Giese

Jeff
Wikipedia and only 6 people survived, is not very soothing.

Here comes the shot.:D

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Wikipedia and only 6 people survived, is not very soothing.

Here comes the shot.:D
Yes but read it all, the doctors that tried and failed after Jeannas successful treatment of Rabies failed to follow the original doctors plan of medication.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Jay. Not to wish anything on the boy. But with the seriousness of this, I would get a second opinion!!!
Just thinking as a father!!!!!

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My GFs mom is a nurse there and she had the same opinion.

She has been a nurse forever.

So I am assuming it should be alright.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts