Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
The 65-68 BB Chevelle power steering (with short pump) uses the remote reservoir.

The purpose of this remote reservoir was because the brackets tucked the pump in closer to the engine to clear the frame/steering box, and thereby being too close to the alternator for the resevoir/fill cap.

Will the 67-72 BB truck assembly clear all these obstructions? Does it have the remote reseroir style? Is the corresponding alternator setup required (is it different?)?

I know a long water pump assembly (brackets/pulleys/etc) will work, but I didn't realize there was another short system that would work.

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

·
Registered
872 Posts
The only difference(s) that I am aware of between the power steering pump and remote reservoir setup from a 65-68 big block Chevelle and that of the 67-72 big block Chevy pickup are part numbers and possibly the mounting bracket used to secure the reservoir to the core support and/or drivers side fender. All will interchange. The remote reservoir power steering setup is said to be notorious for leaking. They are not impossible to find, but they are somewhat pricey. I would imagine that most people who seek this remote reservoir system, do so because it is correct for their particular model. At least that is why I'm looking for one.
You can, of course, use a non remote reservoir setup from a long water pump big block. I believe all of the monting holes and/or bosses are there. You will need to change to the long water pump and the corresponding water pump pulley and crank pulley. You might also have to switch your alternator from driver side mount to passenger side, which would mean that you must extend the wiring harness as well, or replace it altogether. In the end, financially speaking, it may be a wash.
I have not seen a remote reservoir power steering setup used on any small block and I do not think they came from the factory that way. But I have been wrong before, frequently.

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Merlin,
If the brackets are similar, but you want the correct appearance (remote reservoir), I have heard of mid 80s-90s Chevy one-tons (something like that), having a remote reservoir similar to the older Chevelles. I don't know how similar, but might be worth a look. I think the really hard part to find reasonably is the pump housing. Thats one of those parts that 99.9% of people might not notice is different. Might also be able to find it new at the dealer, instead of used or NOS ($$$).

I haven't noticed too much leakage around mine, but there always does seem to be some minor gunk on the outside (never enough to drip or be really nasty)...

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.