Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a 12 bolt out of a 66. Bought it complete 20+ years ago from a company in Colorado so my recollection of the details are vague at best. I seem to remember he said it was built with Richmond gears, Eaton posi and the axle shafts were “Strange, hardened through” axles. I can’t find a part number anywhere on them to verify, the only marking is an M 79 cast into the outside end. I want to make sure they’ll handle 4-500hp. Also I’m putting LS1 rear discs on and need longer studs but I’m having difficulty finding ones that will fit, they’re 7/16”. I did a C6 setup on the front so I have metric 12x1.5 up there. I’d like to have all of the studs the same. Should I just replace the axle shafts to be safe and have the ability to match wheel studs? Sorry for the long diatribe, just trying to include as much info as possible for help.

· Registered
893 Posts
Unless this is a drag car with sticky tires and a transbrake or a manual transmission, even a stock axle will handle just 400-500 hp level just fine.
Dead hook tire grip and either transbrake launch or clutch dump is what breaks axles....if you can't dead hook it while hitting it with instant power the tires will just spin before you break the axle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.