Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its just a coincidence that I am posting this right after DZAUTO asked his question.. BUT

My 12 bolt is leaking at the axle oil seals as well as the pinion seal (can you say no brakes)

Well I have done bearing & seal R&R on a standard truck 12 bolt and I know you have to remove the spider gears, etc to get the c-clip and finally the axle out BUT my 12 bolt has aftermarket c-clip eliminators.. as i understand it, the bearing is pressed onto the axle now... so is the c-clip ACTUALLY eliminated meaning i dont have to remove the spider gears or is it still there for good measure? And to pull the axle out (c-clip or no c-clip) do i just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the eliminator hub to backing plate/axletubes?

as for bearing replacement, if needed, do I have to have a machine shop do it? and about the seal, does the bearing have to be pressed off just to replace IT? sheesh... please help
thanks all.....

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just converted from c-clips to the strange elim kit. The bearing does have to be pressed off for replacement, but the seal can easily be changed with the bearing in place. The seal's inner lip seals against the bearing retainer (sometimes called a wedding ring). Just remove the 4 backing plate bolts and pull the axle out. Once you get it out and look at it, it will be self explanitory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You don't have to remove the spyder gears to remove the c-clips. Just rotate the axle, remove the bolt, remove the 1" pin, push the axle in, the clip will probably fall out. Don't move the ring gear after pulling the pin or the spyder gears will fall out.

------------------
ACES #2637
TEAM CHEVELLE #69

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike, just like Tony said, un-bolt and just pull them out.there should not be any c-clips left in your rear end.
Manuel

------------------
#23 GOLD www.chevelles.com/showroom/70EC1.jpg

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
If most people are like me, they don't have a lot of extra money to spend on tools. But when it is necessary to use a press, especially on the weekend, it may be worth your investment. Several years ago, I bought a 20ton press from one of the discount tool places for $199. It is small enough to fit back in the corner of my garage with the compressor and I use it more than I would ever have guessed. I have some older cars that use the axles with press on bearings as well as customers cars (55-64 Chevys), and the investment in this press has been a life saver. So far, I have never needed more force than the 20ton limit. I don't know how I ever lived without a compressor before I got one and now I don't know how I made it without a press before.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.