Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 El Camino #'s matching 327, glide and open rear diff. Installed new axles (Strange), bearings and seals due to a scored axle shaft. Driving the car I have a knocking sound coming from the left axle as the body sways from side to side. Right axle, very little axle end play. Left side more axle end play. Can anything be done to "tighten it up" . It does have the "C" lock axles, 10 bolt, 8.5. open rear.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I believe they sell thicker C clips.

·
Registered
Ryan
463 Posts
Show up to your local diff shop with a micrometer and a case of beer. They’ll usually let you dig through a bucket of c clips.

Before that I would first measure the end play on both sides. Then pull the 2 c clips and measure them. Then figure out how much thicker of a c clip you would need to get the end play back into spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 72 years old and drive like it! No burnouts for me. Afraid to break something (perhaps already have?). I'll put it on my to do list to check out the C clips and thrust washers next time I pull the diff cover. Will drive and enjoy the car for the rest of the summer. Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts