Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new axle bearings in my 12 bolt and one of them doesn't fit tight in the housing. It starts off tight in the end of the tube but gets loose as it goes in. I can pull it out by hand. I used a puller to get out the old one.

I read suggestions of using lock tight or even goughing the inside of the tube with a center punch to make it fit tighter. Someone even suggested putting a couple of tack welds on it.

Is there an oversize bearing that may solve the problem? I don't want to find another rear or have a new end put on mine.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,295 Posts
couple of suggestions, use loctite bearing mount on the bearing, maybe hand knurl the inner part of the housing. Good luck.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Leo, I will try to find the Locktite bearing mount you suggested.

According to NAPA, the outside diameter of the bearing should be 2.25" and both of the bearings I got from them measured 2.250" with my micrometer. I found the old bearing last night and it measured 1-2 thousandths bigger then the NAPA bearing.

I may try a bearing from another source. If I could find one about 2.251-2.252 thousandths, I should fit tight in the housing.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
No p/n on the old bearing?
I'm seeing 5707 for the axle bearing.
Timkin shows the od to be 2.2520".
You might try a BCA or Timkin bearing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, you are right. I went to Auto Zone last night (with my micrometer) and the bearing they had was a Timken 5707 and it measured about 2.252-2.253.

I drove it in this morning and it fits good.

Thanks Leo and Mike for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts