Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The axel tubes on my 68 SS396 are a silver color. Anyone know the actual color? Is Eastwood silver cad close?

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Alex, it would seem that some one had detailed your differential to look like bare metal. If that's the route you are going, the Eastwood Silver Cad would be way off.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan, I purchased the car new so I know no one detailed the differential. It does not look like bare metal but sort of silver. The pumpkin is black.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Rustoleum's V2119 stainless steel is what I used on mine.
The consensus is that some rears were painted all black, and some had a black center and the axle tubes were unpainted.
What plant built your rear? It's the last letter on the axle tube after the date stamp.
B=Buffalo, NY, G=Chevrolet Gear, W=Warren, MI, K=McKinnon Ind.
BillL

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Dan, I purchased the car new so I know no one detailed the differential. It does not look like bare metal but sort of silver. The pumpkin is black.
That is certainly neat to hear!:thumbsup:

Do you have any pictures you can post for us?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill, it was built by Chevrolet Buffalo. It never occurred to me that the tubes are unpainted but now looking at it, you are correct. The tubes are just primed to stop rust. Dan, I have never posted pictures so as soon as I figure it out, I'll post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts