Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in Hot Rod about an engine they built. They uses a 350ci, put on New Vortec Heads, Comp Cam, Performer Intake and Q-Jet. It made 375 HP. My questions are: Although I think that they listed the wrong part # for the cam, it has 224/ 230 duration at .050 and .470/.480 lift. Will I need more than a Stock Converter for this cam? Will the cam sound lopey? Would a 383 Stroker Kit Make this combo work even better? And would a Performer RPM work better than just the Performer. PLEASE ANSWER ANY OR ALL QUESTIONS>> Thanks Everyone!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could use the stock converter but it would probably be good to get one with a little more than stock. I have almost the same engine in my 71 and I have a 2200-2500 stall. The cam will have a little lope but will idle well. A freind on mine has an engine like this too he has a Performer and I put a RPM on mine. Its a toss up theres no real difference in performance we've found.

------------------
JT
71 SS Vortec 355
www.angelfire.com/co/KellyMotorsports

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, I can help you with the difference between the rpm and just performer. The RPM is flows more air on the top end, not as much as a single plain, but more than the performer. And like anything else, flowing more on the top end means less torque on the bottom end. SO, if you are going to use a stock converter and not rev over about 6000 I would use just a performer, had one on a 350 and I had no trouble winding to 6500 with it. BUT if you are going to use something like a 2200-2500 stall converter, then I would go with the RPM.

Also, I have never had a 383 stroker but I assume that is would blow the 350 away at least for torque, they are supposedly comparible to a big block for torque.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've been told the 383's have Monster Torque, but they're "UP Against the Wall" and want to "Nose Over" at Peak HP. Which means short shifting on race day. The combo sounds a lot like Sallee Chevrolet's "X-Treme 4X4" crate engine. Do they (Hot Rod) use a roller cam?

www.salleechevrolet.com

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 09-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 09-19-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.