Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sorta chevelle related, so here's the problem...I have been using a (swap-meet special) portable generator to re-charge my Chevelle's batteries and run the electric water pump and fans for a quick cool-down between rounds.This generator has seen better days,and I don't know the make or model, just "10amp-1000watt" barely legible on the generator head. I was using a 15amp charger at first, but it died (after 15 years).This week I started using a 40amp charger.It worked great for three 20 minute sessions,then the generator's output went away.I took the cover off the generator head,cleaned commutators and brushes, and ran it again.It'll put out 120+ volts for about 15 seconds, then the commutators will carbonize.Same thing,again and again.I've cleaned these before,and they would stay clean for weeks of use. Why are they doing this now? There are two condensors also,one of which (200 v.d.c./0.05mfd) looks a bit overheated.Anyone have an idea here? I plan to get a new generator next season,so if I can patch this one for a month ...?

------------------
66malibu/427(first 433 now deceased),69c10/355(396 ready),75c10/358(383 next),65chevyII/327(project in stasis)

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I am not too sure what to say about your generator problems, except that it may be a short in the armature causing the brushes to die. Have you considered using your engine to drive a late model internally regulated car alternator,rather than making 120v and putting it thru a charger? That might be fast and cheap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JWagner-even though I am using a 100amp internally regulated alternator on my Chevelle, it doesn't kick in until 3000 rpm,(due to a 50%reduction deepgroove pulley set).So it only charges during a run,or on the return road,not during the innumerable starts and stops prior to staging(too heavy to push).Besides,the most important point is to completely cool the engine between runs.I suppose I could use my tow vehicle's alternator to power the system,but I would rather not use the extra gas or heat up that powertrain either(especially prior to hauling 12000gvw hundreds of miles after a hot summer's day of racing).But,you probably mean that I might just pull off the defective generator head and install a pulley,mount a spare alternator on the platform, and directly D.C. power the Chevelle instead?I thought of that also; it should work.At least for a month.??? Thanks....

------------------
66Malibu/427(R&M/Brodix bb2xheads,dominator);69c10/355(454towmotor ready to go);75c10/358(383 next);65chevyII 2-dr.post/327(project in stasis)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts