Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody hooked up either a fuse block or power strip, that is "turned" on by the ignition/accessory?

It seems to be that it would put alot of "strain" on the ignition circuit...

Is there a way to hook something like that up, but using the ignition/accessory as a "switch" only, but yet using the battery "hookup" as the power?

I have a few accessories (i.e. radar detector, etc.) I want to hook up, but I am running out of these "taps" on the factory fuse block. I don't want to hook directly to the battery, cause I don't want to have to turn them on/off manually everytime I start/shut off the car.

[This message has been edited by John R (edited 11-22-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Our little friend the RELAY comes into play. What you want is possible. You'll just have to run a power lead directly to the battery and lead it into the interior to feed a relay. The relay's electromagnetic coil will pick (turn on) when signaled from the IGN terminal at your normal fuse box. So in essense, you're car's IGN terminal will turn on the relay, thus turning on your accessories. I will post a pic--but please be patient (have to draw out the schematic).

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking kinda on the lines of a relay, but I am glad to know it'll work

I really appreciate the schematic..Thanks!

Me and my electrical ignorance sometimes...

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Okay, here we go:

I would run 12 ga. wire from the battery into the car (drill a hole under the dash). Use about a 25 AMP fuse near the battery. This will protect the battery if the run of wire under the hood should short out. Now mount the relay under the dash close to the fuse strip. I don't know how many accessories you have, but from how it sounds you don't have a heck of a lot that are major "juice" drainers. (Don't draw a lot of current). Make all splices good! The one that shows the wire coming out of the relay is another 12 guage, then it branches off into the fuse strip with 14 to 16 guage wires. Use a large butt connector for that, one end goes the 12 guage coming from the relay's output, the other end of the butt connector goes the "bunch" of smaller wires to the individual fuse connectors. If you can find a fuse strip that has one single master contact that feeds all of the fuses--that would be great, you could simply tie the 12 guage. wire coming off of the relay to that.

Now, use APPROPRIATE sized fuses. A radar detector doesn't draw much. Use about a 3 amp fuse for that. Put a 3 amp fuse in "it's" slot and run a wire to however you want it hooked up. Try to use no smaller than 16 guage wires for safety. Hopefully this will get you started.

Also use a grommet to prevent chaffing where the wire goes thru the firewall.

The funny "three line" symbols are the electronic notation for GROUND. That means connect it to a good metal ground. Ignore the battery ground, that's already hooked up in your car(well it should be!) make sure there is a wire leaving the negative battery terminal and bolted to the passenger fender.

The part that got cut-off says "IGN" terminal (+)--hook it to the fuse box on the car that is the IGN one --only hot when the engine is running.
Good luck and take your time to be safe!

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 11-25-2000).]

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy, am I glad I asked...you made it sound so easy and it totally makes sense...excellent diagram, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can also buy a set-up from Painless that does almost exactly the same thing (relay, fuse block and all). They call it "Cirkit Boss" (their spelling, not mine). A 7 circuit set up is part number 70107. It has 3 "constant" outputs and 4 "ignition switched" outputs.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tip, Wes...

I checked www.painlesswiring.com and they list the price @ $56.95. I'm sure it could be had for cheaper, say at the swapmeet....The nice thing about that one, I bet, is that it prob. is easy to install and clean (although a custom job could be just as good if not better)

Thanks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.