Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was pretty annoyed by the snow we had a month or so ago and wants me to get chains for her car. I called a local tire shop and inquired - I was informed that our car should not have chains but rather, an autosock is what we should use.

I looked up what an autosock was - interesting - and decided to try it out. My wife took the car down and the guy looked at the tire and said - 'we don't have this size - we will have to order it.'

ok - no problem. Next day my wife drove down and picked up the new autosock. Last night I was looking at the package and saw that it fits up to 235R35x19 tires.

Her car has 275R35x19 tires.

!!!

Ya look at the tire and you cannot read the label on the side? Really?

Now we wait again - thank goodness spring is on the way!

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Mike how much ? I'm assuming you need just a pair. seems like a good idea to keep a set in the trunk.
hmardown

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Thet have them for big trucks,too,for drivers that are challenged trying to put chains on.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$99 for a pair. BUT - it is for snow/ice - no pavement or they wear out fast. I figure it would be a good thing in case I got caught by a storm. My wife's car is rear wheel drive so I was a bit concerned by the thought of having them on the rears with no control on the fronts (braking and turning) but the sales guy says this is how it all works.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just don't have room to have 2 sets of tires for her car. Besides - we really don't get enough snow
in the Rogue Valley, in my opinion, to warrant the extra cost.

If we were in Bend like Jim - yes..... they would be great.

·
Premium Member
9,025 Posts
a set of Blizzaks works better in Ice and snow than a set of studded snows IMO

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,668 Posts
:cool: How abojt a nice set of "all season radials?" Where I live snow is a fact of life and a set of all seasons is mandatory.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bruce - that is probably the way we will go when we get the next set of tires on her car... She drives a BMW535i - I have run into tire dealerships refusing to install anything that is not rated to what the manufacturer states should be on the car. (This was on a previous BMW).

Really!? Seems like it should be my choice - we did go with hi-po tires for the critter.

We hit 32,000 miles and had to buy a new set - and yes, alignment is right on and I don't drive the thing (when I get to drive it) all crazy.

I guess it is the nature of the wide sticky ***approved*** tire.

Nuts!

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
a set of Blizzaks works better in Ice and snow
What is ice and snow? >:)

Reactions: Gulf Coast Chevy

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,318 Posts
it's some kind of stuff that falls off the sky in places where I don't live.

it's kinda like the sky gets dandruff but it's cold, in places where I don't live.

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
a set of Blizzaks works better in Ice and snow than a set of studded snows IMO
They are some great tires for snow, just don't drive too much in the warmer weather. They wear fast.

·
Premium Member
9,025 Posts
They are some great tires for snow, just don't drive too much in the warmer weather. They wear fast.
I have a set on separate wheels for my wifes car and even when its icy they grip too.It gives someone who needs studded snows another option.
They wear out fast like you said but if you take them off when the snow stops you'll easily get 6-8 seasons.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
Snow tires are a necessity for anyone who lives anywhere with snow or ice.

Aside from the traction needed to get through deeper snow, braking, turning, and stability are all also improved tremendously.

I wouldn't put my wife and kids in a car on all-seasons through the winter.

I even put them on my 4x4 truck... take the BFG All-Terrains off and put General Altimax on for winter months.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The BFG A/T K02 are severe snow rated. No need to take them off in the winter. They have the snowflake/mountain thing on them. Mine are great in the snow. Was out plowing all morning with them. Drove about 30 miles, we're having a blizzard now 2 feet already.

This sock thing seems gimmicky. I've sure it gives a little better traction than summer tires. It can't see it lasting more than a few miles though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it's either buy studded tires and find a way to store them or buy snow rated for a place that may only get snow every two or three years or buy chanins that won't fit the car or buy the auto sock for possible use maybe once every few years.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts