Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of autometer guages in my new dash, all of which arent completely finished yet but there in place which is a good start. They are currently routed through my headlamp switch for the lights and they came lose or something, either way the switch itself was relocated and is basically hanging, I want the entire headlamp switch gone, so my question basically is: Can I run the autometers and lights through an on/off position switch straight to the battery Positive and ground, and just have a one click easy switch for all? Does it have to run through my fuse block? It seems like it would be quite simple, if I can do so, what guage wiring, what volt/wattage switch to use? ANY ideas or experiences with power in this area would be greatfull! Thanks in advance as usual.... :D

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
“I want the entire headlamp switch gone, so my question basically is:”

The headlight switch contains more than 1 switch inside. The headlights are protected by a built-in circuit breaker. Not a great idea to eliminate the circuit breaker.

“Can I run the autometers and lights through an on/off position switch straight to the battery Positive and ground, and just have a one click easy switch for all? Does it have to run through my fuse block?”

Never a good idea to run an item straight to the battery without protecting the line. I’d hook them up the way Elree shows.

http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=002753

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if i chop the headlamp switch and use the wiring harness for the new switch, would that work out?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the real question if I can do that is which wires to wire where? Ah, does that make sence? I know which are my hot and ground, if i remember right there are 5 wires coming out of the harness headlamp.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The ground wire is only used to turn off and on the dome light. That’s going to need a switch by itself. You have 2 input wires that are both hot. One, the red, is the input used to operate the headlights. The headlights are on a circuit breaker instead of a fuse for a reason. This circuit breaker is inside the headlight switch. It protects the headlight wiring inside the car and under the hood. If you remove the headlight switch, how are you planning to protect the wiring and your car?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea.... I've heard of people putting in new or different custom switches, im trying to develop something that will work and fit right into my new dash. Maybe I can find an aftermaket switch or wire harness or something dollied up for stuff like this, if i have to do 100% custom ill kill myself doing it, probably my wiring too! I probably wont even touch it for some time.....

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
sounds like a lot of work ... if your looking for a custom race setup try painless wirring ...its much easier then doing the whole thing your self !! ( me I'd keep it stock )repair what ever is wrong & be driving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts