Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got sport comp autometer guages for my chevelle. i was curious, where to hook up the water temp sender, and where to hook up the oil pressure sender. it mentions where in the manual, but it is technichal jargon, that i don't understand. these are the electrical guages. also can i hook up the wire for the tach to the tach out put on my distrubutor(72 chevelle, 69 350 motor)or is there somewhere else i should do it???? thanks for you help!!!!! getting experience

mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok mike its not a hard as it seems. The watertemp guage should have this little brass probe on a long coiled wire. That probe goes into the drivers side of the moter between spk plugs 1 and 2. remover the old sender "probe" or cap and screw in the new one. Use locktite so it dosent come out. VERY IMPORTANT when you unscrew the old sender or cap coolent will shoot out of your moter! you should have a drain basion ready or drain you motor before hand! Beleve me it happend and me!
As for the oil preassure guage it should have a coil of clear plastic tubing on it with some fittings on the end. That has to be run through the fire wall, as well as the water tempguage. The oil line goes to the back of your motor right next to the distributer on the drivers side. there shold be some kind of fittings that go in the hole or as like my car it has a T fitting on it.
Now the tach will have a green wire on it and that run to your distrubiter to a plug that sais TCH or Tach if you have HEI. Im not shure of the location of other distributers but that is where mine goes.
Hoped i helped some and sorry about the spelling im am not to good at that.

Jeremy

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
I might only add one thing. USUALLY, not always, if you have a point type dist with seperate coil, the tach wire goes to the neg (-) side of the coil.

------------------

·
Registered
423 Posts
Caution; opinions here!

Temp guage; Leave the idiot light sending unit in the head. Don't touch it. Mount the sending unit for the new guage in one of the locations you should be able to find on the intake manifold. Use locktite thread sealer. The autometer guages should have all the adapters to mount it.

Oil pressure; You want to "T" into the same location as where the idiot light sending unit is. This is at the rear of the block on the drivers side of the distributor. (the line comes out of the block, and not the intake manifold) By using a "T" fitting, you can still retain the idiot light unit. All of the fittings you have to get HAVE to be "pipe" thread fittings and you should be able to get the fittings at any good auto parts store. Start with a straight section about one inch long coming out of the block, then put the "T" so that one side goes up and the other points toward the drivers door (I couldn't think of any better way to word that). Put the idiot light sending unit pointing upwards and the guage sending unit pointing toward the drivers door. The trick here is in the length of the straight section. If it's too long, the idiot sending unit will hit the distributor. If it's too short, you will not be able to rotate the "T" fitting in order to tighten it. Use locktite thread sealer. The reason for saying that the guage sending unit should point toward the drivers door is so that it will not hit the firewall.

As far as the tach, CALL AUTOMETER! I've found them to be very helpful and I'd hate to make a recommendation and have you trash your new tach.

Wes. Vann

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
This is a true statement.

------------------

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since i have the electrical guages, as apposed to the mechanical, will the "T" fitting also work for these, or is there anything else that i have to do, thanks for the previous advice!

mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
7duecemalibu;

Yes, and the response that I wrote is with the intent of using the "electrical" sending units.

It's easier with the mechanical oil pressure unit due to not having the physical size of the sending unit to deal with.

I'm also running the Autometer electrical units.

Wes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.