Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 Malibu with the Sweep Style dash and am trading out the dash for the round SS Dash. I would like to use Autometer gauges like Cobalts or something similar if they fit in the OEM holes but am not sure if they will fit. I have a SS Gauge Housing with the Speedo, Clock and Fuel gauges in the large holes that I was going to use to help "house" the gauges if I needed to but I assume there has to be a way to install the autometer gauges behind the SS dash holes pretty easy...? Has anyone done this? Anyone have any pictures or know if aftermarket gauges will even fit in the original SS holes? I've searched the forum for 3 days now and can't find any info on this...Help!

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Don't ditch your sweep dash just yet. There are plenty of examples of people who have done awesome conversions that look fantastic including this person:

He got accurate gauges AND retained the idiot lights as a bonus without chopping up the original dash. That's great :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Nice...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shi*! I already junked the old sweep dash...oh well I like the look of the SS dash anyway. Any idea if Autometer gauges will fit in the SS Dash holes?

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I have a 72 Malibu with the Sweep Style dash and am trading out the dash for the round SS Dash. I would like to use Autometer gauges like Cobalts or something similar if they fit in the OEM holes but am not sure if they will fit. I have a SS Gauge Housing with the Speedo, Clock and Fuel gauges in the large holes that I was going to use to help "house" the gauges if I needed to but I assume there has to be a way to install the autometer gauges behind the SS dash holes pretty easy...? Has anyone done this? Anyone have any pictures or know if aftermarket gauges will even fit in the original SS holes? I've searched the forum for 3 days now and can't find any info on this...Help!
There are pictures of this type of conversion on the Forum. Not sure if there are pictures with the Autometers you say you want to use. I did something like you want to do with Classic Instruments and there are pictures of that install.

One word I would never use for this type of conversion is "easy". It can be done but it takes work...lots of work. If you want the guages behind the SS dash it is gonna take time. Do some research under "White Face Guages" there are a lot of pictures of my dash as well as other dashes that some other guys did. I am sure that the other guys used Autometer and the process with Autometer or Classic is more or less the same if you want to have the guages behind the factory SS facia.

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
I have photos of Ray's dash conversion. Problem is because of CRS I can not recall who Ray is but here are photos of the excellent work he did :)

I saw another thread with photos of Autometer gauges installed, if I can find it I'll post the link.

The other cool thing about Rays car is the 3rd pedal :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
Here is the link to the page on my Photobucket account where they are stored. If you have any more photos you want hosted there let me know.

Rays Dash Conversion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great pictures!! That is exactly what I was wondering. It looks like the factory gauge pod was used and the new (probably more accurate) gauges were installed in it. Any idea if they tore apart the gauges in order to install them in the factory pod?

Thanks again for the great pictures. This is my first thread I have started and I have to say I love this site!!

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures!! That is exactly what I was wondering. It looks like the factory gauge pod was used and the new (probably more accurate) gauges were installed in it. Any idea if they tore apart the gauges in order to install them in the factory pod?

Thanks again for the great pictures. This is my first thread I have started and I have to say I love this site!!

I did not tear the guages apart. In conversations with other guys who did the same modification to their dashboards (using guages other than Classic Instrument) I never found anyone who tore the guages apart. IMHO that is a BAD idea.

Oman

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I had to reconstruct the post but here is a complete description of how I did it. There are a lot less anal ways to do it but this will give you an idea of what you're in for.

In the end it's well worth the effort and the satisfaction that YOU did it.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261565

Tom
Hello Tom!!!!

Once again this dashboard redo puts us in contact. How goes it???

I agree with you on BOTH the satisfaction and the difficulty aspects of this job. Everytime someone mentions the dash in my car I feel pretty good about what I did. On the other hand there were some times when my fingers hurt or my neck had a kink in it while working on the dash / dash install I said to myself "There has to be an easier way..........."

Anyway: Hope all is well. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
THANKS for redoing that thread...that's excellent work on your dash.I think I will copy cat your way. What gauges are those? Size and name? Are they all Phantoms?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom I can't thank you enough!! I can tell you are a man of detail as your write-up is as professional and detailed as your great looking gauges. I don't know a lot about mechanical vs electrical gagues, any suggestions in the department? Also, where did you get the aluminum to cut the brackets from?

Thanks again man, your desire to help others is fully appreciated by everyone on the forum!!

Charles

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi there Oman !

I have been busy on some other projects and don't get back to the forum as much as I would like but it's funny, after not being around here for awhile I check back and the dash question is up again. Maybe they need to make it a sticky !

I had just deleted all the pix from my Photobucket about a week ago. Luckily enough, all I had to do was repost them to Photobucket and they lined up correctly in the post.

Tod - the speedo & tach are 3 3/8" the fuel gauge is 2 5/8" and the small ones are 2 1/16". They are all Phantom electric gauge from Summit.

Charles - I did the mechanical ones (for the oil & temp) in my 71 project and the thing I didn't like about them is they are FULL sweep gauges and they are a little hard to read (note the first section of the post I linked to) and the installation is a lot more work because you have to run all the mechanical connections. That also means you have an oil line in your interior and I never like that because it will leak and the drip all over the interior.

The aluminum is from Home Depot - or Lowes if you're a Jimmy Johnson fan ! :D

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Who's dash is this? I ask because it appears to have a white clock..just wondering where you got the clock..also Which gauge size do you use? Are they 3 3/8?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts