Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know the reasons for a manual over a auto. I would get either, but I am going to 'put' it in my current automatic. I know that a manual would require mods for a clutch and such. I want to know if there are any ways to have a manual and keep a bench seat so there will be room for someone to sit in the middle up front???

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
There are many bench seat cars with 4 speed.They use a differnt shifter than cars with console and buckets .But every thing else is the same.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The question should be, why should you use an automatic! Standards are:
1) Fun to drive
2) Less hassle
3) Fun to drive
4) Stronger, take more abuse
5) Fun to drive
6) More efficient, more tire burning power to the ground
7) Did I mention FUN TO DRIVE

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
with automatics there is:
less parts breakage
more consistency
less parts breakage
easier to cruise with your arm around your honey
less parts breakage
more fun !!!

------------------
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could also get a 3 speed manual column mounted gearshift - that is what I have ! There is no doubt that manuals are more fun to drive because they require more skill and attention to perform properly, whereas anyon can put the lever in drive and schmooze along. Only real problem is heavy Toronto traffic - inching along the QEW at an average of 10 mph gets real tiring after about an hour

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could also get a 3 speed manual column mounted gearshift - that is what I have ! There is no doubt that manuals are more fun to drive because they require more skill and attention to perform properly, whereas anyon can put the lever in drive and schmooze along. Only real problem is heavy Toronto traffic - inching along the QEW at an average of 10 mph gets real tiring after about an hour

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
you mean,,,not everybody can shift a manual transmission??? I can power shift with the best of them,used to have a 66SS 396 with a M-22 rock crusher,,,and I will take an automatice any day !!!

------------------
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Well guys, I don't have a choice for transmissions.
I HAVE to drive a car with a manual tranny. I never did learn how to drive an automatic, I just can't get that coordination right. At my age it's just too difficult to adjust to this kind of a stressful change.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
100 Posts
Manuals are more fun to drive, but I prefer autos. When your cruising with a girl/wife/mistress etc.. it sucks not being able to use your hand for "other things", also if you plan to do any amount of racing (street/track) autos are more consistent, less likely to kill you (clutch) etc..

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
48 Posts
you had to start this luke the auto vs stick thing, sorry i have to agree with rapid robert, i am 48 yrs. old driven everything from 6 cylinders to blown bb's with stick and auto, if you want the best of both worlds and less worry's and still fun to drive put a shift kit in a 350 or 400 turbo, a big cam, higher stall converter, and manually shift it? it really sucks cranking 6 or 7 grand with a clutch and you miss third, ouch!

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
sorry read ques twice answer once, cfr is right, you can also get front set modified to accomidate the shifter, it's alot of work, neutral safety switch, backup lights, clutch and brake pedal assembly, your girl friend or wifes legs getting in the road., it all depends on what you want we just give you our opinions you have to sort them out!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Check with Original Parts Group www.opg.com or Ausley's www.chevelle.com they have metal floor shift humps for your application. You'll need to change the carpet also. I plan on doing this to my '67 but I'll be using a B&M shifter. I think I'll have to make some mods to make the ratchet shifter work though?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
my $.02 is

Daily driver=automatic

Weekend toy=standard

wish i had a std. until i hit rush hour traffic and w/manual drum brakes it takes enough out of me after a long day at work to have to wory about a clutch.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
yep
I would go with the 4-speed-more fun,and you can shift it as good as a auto,just takes a little skill,I love 4-speeds,love the control I have.I had a 68-goat with bench and 4-speed,the shifter was just shaped to clear the seat.good day--67RAT member #199

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.