Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to convert my 1970 from an auto to a 4 gear? other than changing the steering column(column mounted shifter).also does anyone know of a console that fits and looks good in a chevelle other than the original. i would love to have an original but after building the 468 BB i don't have the extra cash left. i do have a mega shifter but i think it will look silly on the floor all by itself. any suggestions?

------------------
I think my beer drinking team has a racing problem!

[This message has been edited by badboydale (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Some things that will need to be done:
Steering column as you said.
Pedal assembly.
Z-bar and mounting points for it.
Clutch Linkages.
Backup light switch and wiring.
Depending on trans in it now- crossmember relocation.(could affect exhaust as could the z-bar)
Driveshaft length - again depending.
Yoke and U-joint type - depending.

Personally, I like the naked shifter on the floor look. Just a trim ring and rubber boot.
Most factory type consoles don't turn me on.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://chevelles.com/showroom/alelcaminofront.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/al4/alcamino64/index.html

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Most of the Chevelle parts sources have the repopped floorshift hump and boot/hardware stuff. I think it looks better that way than the factory stuff did. Also, a Hurst shifter with a Muncie handle spliced in looks cool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's not a hard swap, just a little expensive. When I did this swap I bought the whole kit from the Muscle Factory (pedals, linkage, etc.).

If I ever do it again, I'll try to find used pedals & whatever else I can. I think that would save you some bucks provided you're not in big hurry like I was.

I have a Hurst Comp Plus that's made just for a Chevelle w/console & it is a very good likeness of the Muncie handle. When I first got it I thought they were exactly the same, but upon a closer side by side comparison they're not identical but very close.

As for a console, I don't know of another that would look right. Since it's not a real necessity I'd just wait & get the right one.

Good luck, Pete

·
Gold Founding Member
5,817 Posts
Dont forget the 1.33" hole saw to drill through the steering column support for the clutch rod, I burnt my drill up on that one.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396 (427)M21
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.