Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about 1 month I am heading back down to college. While there me and some friends try to go to the 1/4 strip every weekend.
I am about to finish the first line of my 'signature', and want to do one more E.T. lowering thing. I can't afford to work on the motor, because I am putting in the 396 this summer!

So I plan to take the now plain jane TH350 and enhance it. I plan to get a street/strip shifter kit for $50. I also want a shifter on the floor, the column shifter takes away a LOT of the joy of racing!!!

i want to put in a B&M megashifter (ratcheting), I have used one before on another car and loved it to death! It is kinda flashy with the chrome and all. My only setback is a bench seat. How will the distance be??? I don't wanna lean forward to grab the thing.

They sell one with a tall mouting platform, would this help matters??? I want this shifter, and I can also use it on a stock console by just removing the platform.

The cutting hole isn't to much is it??? Just enough for the cable?

any other ideas to get the E.T.s down??? Slicks isn't an option yet. I just really wanna get into the 13s! Then the BB will get the 12s, and NO2 + slicks will get 11s.

------------------
have now>>>>> am building
2.73 open 10bolt>>>>>>3.73 posi 12bolt
350>>>>396 w/nitrous
TH350>>>>TH400 (haven't found one yet...)
shooting for 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i just installed a megashifter on my 70/2004r a few months ago, i love it too, it is just right with the bench all the way back (im 6'tall) i left about 2 inches between the seat and shifter and the reach is very good not too far and you don't have to lean up. the hole for the cable is a little bigger since you have to fit the cable end thru it but it's not bad. the hardest part is screwing it down to the floor straight
mine is a little crooked but it toward me so it looks great, i even lined up the shifter but after you put the cover on, it may be off but still looks great. let me know if you have any q's about install or other and it's a tight space between the tranny and floor so do it before you install the tranny

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
350/200-4r (soon to be 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also like the Megashifter and mounted one in my 64 wagon with bench seat.

What I did was make up a flat "mounting base" for the shifter with several different mounting holes. There are nuts welded on the under side. By having several different holes, I can move the unit forward or backward in increments of about 1/2 inch. (at the time I did it, I wasn't sure about the location of the seat)

The mounting plate was then welded to the floor pan (the tunnel) and "towers" were made up of strap steel to hold it level.

I also located it slightly to the drivers side of the tunnel and not centered.

All the bracketry is hidden by the plastic cover that comes with the thing (after trimming it to fit). It's as solid as possible and doesn't move around while shifting. (I don't believe I have any photos)

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dude.... you gotta give the HAMMER SHIFTER from B&M a look before you buy. It KICKS! I installed one this summer in my 68. I did pretty much the same thing that Wes did. Made a plate out of 22 gauge steel, drilled 4 holes in it, put 1-1/2" long bolts up through the holes with nuts on the top side.
(Mount the shifter on these bolts) I bent the sides of the plate down a bit until it matched the hump contour then welded it to the floor board (small tack welds with a Mig). Worked great. The hole you need to drill is about 1-1/4" diameter. NOTE: Definitely drill the hole and install the shifter and cable BEFORE putting in the trans..... I didn't and it was a mother. Give the "Hammer" some thought.... it's cool!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed a Megashifter last weekend....alls I can say is heh heh heh! I really like it. I have one question anyone ever run one up thru a automatic console? I have access to a console a friend has and was thinking this might look kinda cool, I like the idea of a locking console box

------------------
Scott
1968 Chevelle
350/Th350 10 bolt 3.73

·
Registered
421 Posts
Another point of note: The Quicksilver. Smae ratchet action for about 50 bucks less and it's accept the T handle for the mega.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/intro.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into the 'Hammer' as well as the 'Quicksilver' ones. I am gonna call each and see if they will sell the unit minus the handle. I see that they sell the handles with the button and wire already in them. I think that looks awesome. Though I wont hook it up to nitrous, I'm sure I can find something sweet for it to do

I think that'll be a later on post, be thinkin' about it fellas.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I also like the quicksilver, just because it is a pretty "clean" looking shifter, and doesnt need a lever or handle lifted to move from gear to gear. My experience with the megashifter have been ok, except I never could get the rubber boot to stay in its chrome mounting ring. It kept popping out around the edges, and drove me nuts! Maybe it was deformed from the factory or something..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I think that rubber boot is a bad design. They should have just put a larger rubber lip on it and have the chrome plate hold it in place.

Kinda bugs me too

------------------
Scott
1968 Chevelle
350/Th350 10 bolt 3.73

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
no problems with the boot here, except they rott quickly i had to buy a new one it installed quickly and i thought it would come out too but it hasn't in a couple of months so far

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
350/200-4r (soon to be 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got the B&M Starshifter. It's a "his and hers" shifter. You can use it as a ratchet when you want to, yet still maintain the 'normal' shift pattern otherwise. It's a bit less hassle for those inexperienced with ratchet shifters. (Like when you gotta let the wife drive it)

------------------
Don - Chicago 'Burbs
'67 Malibu Street Machine
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what the first thing is!?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.