Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has probably be asked a zillion or so times. I am looking for a realible Classic auto insurer for my 1977 El Camino and my 1969 SS Chevelle. I would like someone who is reasonably priced and will be hassle free. Thanks in advance.

Steve Petzer

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm using State Farm. I've insured my '68 for $10,000.00 and it cost about $200.00 here in San Francisco. (high rates) They didn't ask for an appraisal, but the agent took some pictures.
They have't been asking for milage figures but it's supposed to be used for "shows" and not-everyday driving.
Phil

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I use Blueprint Auto Insurance - I sent them 4 pictures and a check for $126 and I got a $16,000 policy in 10 days. Doesn't get much cheaper, but you are limted to 2000 mi/year for club/show events only. Thankfully, though I haven't had any claims.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
No matter which insurance agaeny you go with, GET A PROFESSIONAL APPRASIAL, DOCUMENTED WITH YOUR PICTURES. Then ask to see the ACV (actual cash value) clause an insurance co. will use to pay off your car if it's totaled. You may have the privilidge to pay premiums on any value you want, but they will decide what it worth after the accident.
Unless it's stated exactly on the policy the $$ amount, how can you argue. You do agree to the contract after all when you sign.

The only kind of insurance you should accept is a STATED VALUE. There are classic car insurers out there, ask an independant agent or check out Hemmings. You might be surprised the amount of coverage you get for the price.

Why invest big $$, and insure it on the cheapest?

Just my 2 bits.
DG

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-13-98).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
With my old '72 SS I was on Liberty Mutual. I brought it to a hot rod shop and had them appraise it. To tell you how perfessional it was, he asked me how much I thought the car was worth and he wrote that value down. Liberty Mutual took it, and I paid about $1700 a year for full coverage and a $300,000 liability as if it was a normal car.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Lets hear from someone who got their Chevelle in an ..
gulp
...accident. I mean, if you have never had to deal with an insurance co, for a check, how can you really know.
DG

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Most of the members of our club use JC Taylor Insurance (JC Taylor agency). It's stated value (you pick the value). My SS was stated value at 15k and cost we $240 per year. They pay too but you must drive under 2500 miles per year.

------------------

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up Haggerty for my 72 Chevelle. I stated 7500 value and they don't enforce a mileage limit. They tell you the average is 2500 a year but they allow more for mountain states, where I am, and if you can tell them why you have 5000 a year on your car. Just can't use it as a daily driver. $84 for the year.

·
Super Moderator
1,813 Posts
Get a Hemmings Motor News, there are plenty of classic insurance comanies out there. Some of the better ones are, American Collectors - limited at 2500 miles but will cover any useage of the car - you can drive it to work or the store, Grundy Agency (I have them), J.C. Taylor (Dad has them), and Hagerty.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Steve! I have to renew my 71 Chevelle insurance. It is an agreed value - zero deductable policy. An agreed value policy is just that - if you have a total loss they'll send you a check for the agreed value. In my case $15K cost me $179 annually (2500 mi/year, not to be used as a commuter, garaged and I believe you need to have another normally insured vehicle). Be careful with stated value policies as they can depreciate your car's value over time - translation - you won't get what you think. There's a lengthy explanation of this in Year One's catalog.

Try calling Barlow Insurance (800)558-7772 for more info. Hope this helps some of you guys out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have Hagerty for my 69 El Camino SS/396. It costs me $86 per year they don't enforce milage, car must be garaged, and you must have 2nd car reg. to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.