Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I'd come to my Chevelle people for audio advice, Ive got some decent alpines that I like but it's not easy to hear it over the engine
Has anyone used Pyramid audio ? they make a 600 watt amp for $54.99 and its a mosfet. I was going with kenwood, but sometimes i dont care on the brand as long as it does its job. http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pyrpb446x

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
It's been my experience that you get what you pay for. I wouldn't believe that rating for that price. I have a couple cheapo Jensen amps in my Chevelle that do the job, and they were reasonably priced at Bestbuy. They are far from audiophile quality, but they sure do the job. here's a forum on another site that may help, or maybe not. :confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't buy the amp from pyramid, you get what you pay for,when I first got into car audio I bought a 100 watt pyramid amp and it sounded like crap, I got rid off it and bought a 100 watt kenwood amp, much better sound quality and much louder, stick with the good stuff like alpine,kenwood,lanzar,orion etc. I've used these amps in the past and was very satisfied. I even had a 200 watt sony xplod amp awhile back and I was impressed. First thing I look at on the amp is the specs to see what the s/n is and the thd, most of your high end amps are atleast 90db to 100db plus, the higher the s/n and lower the thd the louder and clearer the sound will be.like I said before you get what you pay for, I haven't checked priced lately but a good 500-600w amp will run at least $900-$1000, that's what I paid for the 500w lanzar amp I used to have.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Here's the deal with the "advertized" amp ratings, that are not listed as RMS per channel:

Some un-named (P) companies sell amps that say 600 watts. Well maybe 600 watts total into a 2ohm load, assuming they survive that load. That would be 300 watts into a 4ohm load. (still bridged). Now seperate that into 150 watts per channel-PEAK POWER. Now the formula for RMS-the "real" power rating of an amp, is peak divided by 2 times .707. So realisticly, your 600watt amp is pushing 53 watts at, oh probablly 10% distortion, which sounds like total crap! The power level that would sound OK with that amp would be around 35-40 watts per channel. Gotta know what those figures stand for.

dang, wrote all that before I checked your link. I was right

Notice they list a THD of less than 0.04%, but do they say what the power is at that rating????

For what it's worth, I've always been a big Kenwood fan, am running 3 Kenwood 921's in the trunk of my Bonneville-talk about a sleeper

Another dead giveaway of a low power amp is the fuse size. Any serious amp will have a minimum of 1 25a or higher fuse, based on the amount of current they need to produce that power. Good luck and keep shopping :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.